Will any manual swap into an auto w/o cutting tunnel?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by evilWS6, Jul 18, 2015.

1. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

Hey everyone.

As the title states.. I have a '73 Camaro with a TH350. I'm eventually looking to swap to a manual, but I'm hesitant to cut the trans tunnel. I would really like a T56 so I have a 6 speed. My friend is trying to convince me to just go with a 4 speed, but I feel like that won't be enough gear. Although, it would probably be significantly easier than swapping in a newer 6 speed.

So, are there any transmissions that swap in without cutting up the tunnel? Also, opinions on the "stocker" 4 speed vs. anything newer (t56/TKO)?

Thanks fellas!

2. Chris71RS

Chris71RS Veteran Member

An Island called "long" in the north atlantic
    I swapped a TKO 600 (5 Speed) in my 71 and didn't have to touch the tunnel. Best investment I made in the car.

3. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

Those are quite pricey, correct?

4. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

The Muncie pattern bell + adapter plate w/ LS1 T56 is 2" longer than an LT1 T56.

Get new front stubframe cushions in, don't run engine setback, and fit an LT1 T56. You won't have to cut your entire floor. Just support the car on the trans. with shifter stub bolted on to dent the floor, buzz the shifter opening, and see where you're at.

You're already cutting A HOLE IN THE SHEETMETAL to fit the shifter. No need to be a nancy about a seam at top. Just don't be a weirdo who cuts the whole top of their floor off to acomplish what could have been done with a seam . . . all because they had to keep their antique bellhousing and a spacer . . . all to cause themselves more problems with the floor.

Oh, and make sure you have good rear gearing to match the box you put in.

5. Devildog

Devildog Veteran Member

I swapped a TKO into my 73 and didn't need to cut anything. I did however enlarge my existing shifter hole by about an inch just to make sure there was enough clearance for my Hurst Blackjack shifter.

I run mine with a set of 3:73 gears and I absolutely LOVE it.

6. qn60e6

qn60e6 Veteran Member

Like it or not an auto tunnel needs to get cut.

7. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

I swapped an ST10 into my car. Sourced all of the old parts and nothing change. Same crossmember.