Will my Exhaust come apart ?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by kenny77, May 10, 2020.

1. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

On my full 2.5" exhaust I welded the whole thing except for the muffler connections because I didn't know if I was going to keep the Dynomax Turbo mufflers. I used 4 lap joint band clamps on the dual mufflers. I NOW decided to go with and ordered the Black Widow Venom 250s after hearing them on a few cars, no drone.
    Question is, after about a year now will this connection come apart? The car is garaged, no rain ..only nice days
    The new mufflers are the same size as the others so I don't want to be cutting up the pipes.

This is the clamp deal....
    [​IMG]

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was able to separate the pipes on my exhaust system after removing the same type of band clamps.

Using that style of clamps gives you the best chance of pulling them apart at a later date.

Regular muffler clamps leave little interlocking ridges and it's almost impossible to slip the pipes apart again.

Good Luck!

kenny77 likes this.
  3. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

I've used those type of clamps and never had trouble disassembling the exhaust. If it's difficult to pull apart or seems stuck, spray a bit of WD40 into the lap joint. I've found that it helps a bunch once you get it to budge.

I find that Walker's version tends to seal better, comes with a little dab of goop in the seam as well.

wlk-33272_ml.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is that band clamps stretch when you fully tighten them, that's how they seal. It's typically not a problem if you're reusing them on the same tubes, but it will be a problem if your old pipes ran a touch large or the new ones are a touch smaller. I've seen a lot of variance on the OD of a "2-1/2 ID" muffler/pipe. I usually like to have extras on hand if I'm swapping mufflers just in case.

What Walker turbos are you switching from? I have 2.5" Super Turbos and high flow cats and find it to be pretty nice. Zero drone and still makes some noise, but also doesn't broadcast that I exceeded 2500 RPM to everyone within a 5 mile radius. Probably ideal for a daily. But sometimes I want something a touch louder. Those Venom 250's look like they'd be crazy loud!

kenny77 likes this.
  4. kenny77

^^ I was thinking that the clamps were already stretched, so I'm planning on buying new ones. The ones I used did have some kind of black goop in the seam.
    The Dynomax super turbos are fine with good sound. But really a bit too quiet at times. The Black Widow mufflers have like 4 different types, the Venom 250s are the mildest ones. They do not sound like Blowmasters.The Black Widows have more of a crackle to them, the Dynomax has none of that. With my 383 compression and cam I mean I hear it a little.... I have dual Hi flow cats on the car right after the collectors.

The big deal here is I think my unmolested Challenger R/T has proved to me that my Camaro is too quiet. The Dodge has the sound when you pull in somewhere, people do notice, again it's not the Flowmaster sound I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]
    The Venom 250s seem to be the hottest thing around right now. At a total of $300.00 per pair they ain't cheap. But I was 100% sold on them for the Camaro when I heard them
    There's a waiting list for them..........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  5. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

Pic won't show, says no permission to see the album.

Sounds like those are the Walker band clamps then. I usually at least try reuse them with new parts before throwing on new ones. Just get them snug and if you can't easily rotate the muffler, then they should be good once fully tightened.

Seems like we have a similar exhaust setup, but my 350 with 9.7:1 and a 211/219 roller cam is probably a little wimpy sounding in comparison. I know what you mean, I can just hear some of the fun noises but I kinda want to hear more.

What's your exhaust tip situation? There is an interior sound difference between them pointing straight back vs angled down. It's not a lot but sometimes that's enough.

kenny77 likes this.
  6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Yes they will come apart. What I have found that works is to slip a small piece of thin sheet metal on the inside of the larger part of the clamp pipe and it makes the clamp hold better. Been doing this on my race car and have not had one come loose since.

kenny77 likes this.
  7. kenny77

I have full exhaust pipes 2.5 straight out the back, angle cut tip...stock looking

This video of the Chevelle would be close...notice full tailpipes NO BEFORE AXLE DUMPS

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  8. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

I've been really wanting a 2017+ Challenger R/T like that. I've heard the stock active exhaust is awesome. Certainly sounds awesome in videos. I would love to replicate that exhaust note on a 2nd gen but I'm pretty sure the active exhaust valves are key. Curious to hear what you think of the Venom 250s vs the Challenger once you get them swapped in.

9. kenny77

I kinda feel like I'm not really trying to get the same EXACT sound as my 2019 R/T. But the sound of my current Dynomax Super Turbos is not even close to the same ballpark. A long,long way from it. Too tame...too quiet...too ordinary maybe??

I didn't want to buy a new Dodge, but the thought of a used Hemi R/T that was a former rental car scared the piss out of me. And the only used ones we see for sale down here are all former lease.."Rental" cars. It is my daily driver

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  10. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

Yeah I like the Super Turbos but there's definitely something missing compared to when I hear a late model muscle car cruise by.

Oh yeah do you have an X or H pipe with the Super Turbos? I have an X pipe with mine.