Wilwood 12" Dynalite vs c5 13"?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by CowsGoMoooooooo, Sep 18, 2016.

1. CowsGoMoooooooo

CowsGoMoooooooo New Member

Hello, I very much need to upgrade my brakes as they are just awful. I have a 70 z28 but the power brakes were removed. I'm finding myself not minding manual brakes however old car needs upgrades.

I will be running 17x9 in front so fitment shouldn't be hard.

I'm comparing these two..
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-140-8582/overview/year/1970/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

vs

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-7081swbksc5b/overview/year/1970/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

Which one would have an overall stronger braking power? The car is going to be a daily someday, not a track car.

Also considerations are which would need servicing more or less? installation difficulty?

In essense, comparing the stopping power of 13" 2 piston GM brakes versus 12.19" 4 pot Wilwood brakes.. Wilwood are roughly $150 more expensive plus lines and such.

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

For a street car, the GM components are going to be more durable and easier to find parts for. They made a lot of '97-2005 Corvettes and parts ain't drying up anytime soon.

Honestly - that Classic Performance setup has a horrific reputation. Cheap Chinese Knock-offs of someone else's parts
    Custom Works For the C5 brake swap stuff. Keith makes some outstanding parts and is WAY cheaper than anyone else for this stuff

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  3. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

Look at the size of the Dynalite pad sq in. Much smaller than even the factory D52 caliper pad so less friction surface area.

There are some kits that use their Superlite calipers that are a bigger pad.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I would not put aftermarket brakes on a car that are the same size as OEM. With 17s, you can handle a 13" rotor. It may not seem a big deal over a 12", but you be amazed how much more surface area there is on a 13" over a 12"

I would look into the C5 too. Use C6 calipers, and I bet you could get Z51 rotors to fit. (They are slightly bigger then 13").

Look to Kore3 for the brackets and hubs, but source the calipers, rotors, pads from a more affordable source. Ebay etc

5. Jason7504

Jason7504 Veteran Member

Like others have said, go with the C5 set up. Cheaper and better than the 12" Dynalite's imo. It might be a little tight in the wheel depending on which type of calipers you go with or the style of wheel. My Z51 rotors barely fit in my 18" wheels lol. Just be sure to measure the wheel before

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Really? I have 14" rotor 6 piston Baers inside my 18s

7. Jason7504

Jason7504 Veteran Member

Must be the style of wheel then because I had to trim a little on my calipers to fit the 13.4" rotors in my 18s

8. landpilot

landpilot Member Lifetime Gold Member

Completely agree with Lowend on this one, plus I think that particular Wilwood kit has a thinner rotor than what you'd get versus the C5 brakes. I put Wilwood on mine but they are the bigger 6-piston forged Superlites and the price doubles. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably give a lot more consideration to the Corvette brakes..

9. CowsGoMoooooooo

CowsGoMoooooooo New Member

Interesting. I have two contacts that know a lot and have done a lot of builds and most say the wilwoods easily have much stopping power. Why are they more expensive then because they're not using gm parts bin parts?

I'm likely just going to be running crager 17x9 steelies in the front for now because it's what i can afford to get some decent brakes in there. I want to get year one's reproduction 17x9 z28s when I can afford it some-day. But atm I want to get brakes asap.

Why would the wilwoods be much more expensive then? Or is it beacuse the brake kits are using cheap department brakes replacement for a c5 and not a genuine GM part?

From what you're saying, the extra clamping force of the wilwood 4 pot isn't enough to compare to just having .8" bigger rotor on the vette brakes? I'm also looking for basically a bolt in solution for good brakes, I don't have the skills or tools to weld/fab.

10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Economies of scale. Wilwood might sell 5000 of that caliper this year.
    GM will sell 100,000