Wilwood 12" Dynalite vs c5 13"?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by CowsGoMoooooooo, Sep 18, 2016.

1. landpilot

landpilot Member Lifetime Gold Member

The Wilwoods are a full kit that requires modification of the existing front spindle. You have to cut off the mounting ears for the factory caliper and enlarge/re-tap two existing holes - it's something a machine shop could do for you. The parts from Wilwood are made very well, forged and machined, and as Lowend said sold in small quantities. And they do stop fantastically!

From what I recall, the C5 calipers have more piston area than the Wilwood 4 pots. Someone (can't recall who) makes a replacement spindle for the Camaro that makes the whole C5 conversion a bolt-on affair with no machine work required. Just be sure to get a high grade wheel bearing assembly like an OEM or Timken. Basically once you have the spindle, everything else is an existing OEM replacement part which means if you break down on the road, the parts are very easy to find. Wilwood on the other hand...

2. CowsGoMoooooooo

CowsGoMoooooooo New Member

Which kit would you guys reccomend for a '70 that would be the most complete/easiest for me to install? Anything else I should be doing down there while replacing the brakes?

3. CowsGoMoooooooo

I was thinking that was a bonus for the c5 setup too, any store will carry replacement parts for it. Any of the kits you know of carry quality gm replacement parts with the spindle? Such as rotors that won't warp after 5000 miles!

4. landpilot

Only a few people made the C5 spindle for the second gen Camaro. Speedtech sold a great forged aluminum spindle but now you can only get it with their entire front end kit. CPP sells a spindle with or without a hub. I talked to a couple of very well known racers who suggested that the spindle is okay but buy them without the hub/bearing and get your own (timken or ac delco) as the bearing CPP sells wasn't holding up well to autocrossing or road racing.

There are several people who sell kits that require modifying your stock spindle.

Personally, I'd call Tobin Knighton at Kore3 Industries (www.kore3.com) and talk to him about their kits and what modifications you need. C5/6/7 conversions are about all they do and they use factory pieces so you'll always be able to find parts. (I think this is the part you'll need, it has everything, all you need is to modify the spindle http://www.kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10104-01). He can help you whether you modify your spindle or buy an aftermarket one. Brakes are too important to guess!

5. CowsGoMoooooooo

BRakes are pretty darn important. That kit starts to get too expensive for me, I'm looking for brakes that are basically just modern and safe to drive. 1k+ is definitely overkill for me I think. Also considered from custom works they basically just have a bolt on 4 piston wilwood caliper on the stock brake sizing.

6. landpilot

Any of the 4-piston Wilwood calipers are going to require machining the spindle and mounting new brackets. Wilwood makes a D52 caliper that is a direct bolt on to your existing spindle and caliper bracket. They are 2-piston with BP-10 pads and work really well. You'll also need new frame to caliper flex lines. My brother-in-law uses them on the front of his 70 Nova SS. $374 at Summit and Keith probably has them for even less. Add some new Powerstop or EBC rotors and you should see a big difference in braking.

7. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a C5 setup on my 70...love it. I used Wilwood's tandem master and stock C5 calipers and abutments. You can see what I did in my Progress thread. I'm all about low budget. I bought the C5 stuff off someone who was upgrading their C5 to track parts. I'm still running the same pads that they sent loaded on the calipers. The only modification that scares people is using the Camaro spindle...you have to cut off the stock caliper mounting ears and drill/tap the dust cover holes to accept 1/2x13 bolts. I used stock 1LE rotors from a 3rd gen Camaro, cut off the rotor portion and used the hubs. I bought the calipers and abutments for $200 shipped to my door. Shop around, I'm sure you can dig up a deal somewhere. It's not really all that hard, dig in and ask some questions if you get stuck.

8. CowsGoMoooooooo

I meant 2 piston my bad. Customworks sells them in their page.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Look into BAER as well. I went with their 6P because the cost of the C6 Z06 set-ups is pretty expensive and they say "Corvette" on them.

I shy away anything that says Wilwood on it. I had a MC that started leaking at the seals only a few weeks after I bought it and they told me sold as is! No Warranty on their components.

10. landpilot

I thought maybe so when you said bolt on. If you are looking for a truly bolt-on, no-fab / no-weld solution they are a good choice. My brother in law paired them with EBC rotors and a Wilwood MC and he can stop his 650hp Nova on a dime.

As for Wilwood's warranty, it can be all over the place, but I think your vendor and their relationship with Wilwood make all the difference in the outcome. I know people who have had issues but personally I've never had a warranty problem; the guys I buy from have a great relationship with Wilwood and any issue has been resolved quickly.