Wilwood stock replacement D52 calipers

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Tokyo Torquer3, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Tokyo Torquer3

Tokyo Torquer3 Veteran Member

Anyone think these Wilwood D52 calipers are worth it as a performance upgrade by themselves.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-11291-R/

The marketing claim is that the problem with the old brakes is the outdated stock calipers, and that these calipers will give big diameter brake type performance and still fit 15" wheels by offering more rigidity, better machining tolerance, and dual pistons which apply more even pressure with greater clamping force over the old stock single piston calipers.

To me it sounds like just marketing hype as there is no way that even forged aluminum is more rigid than cast iron and I beleive the maching tolerances of the OEM brakes is adequate where it counts. They do look nicer than stock calipers which will now be visible as I just ordered a set of 15" Budnik Fontana wheels to replace the Weld draglites which will no longer hide the calipers.

I have all new stock brake parts with a CCP master cylinder, braided steel brake lines, and Hawk pads. The Hawk pads were the single best brake improvement and you could definitely feel the braking improvement. I am quite happy with the brake performance even with aggressive driving on the street and the only time I am wanting more is when slowing down from 125-130mph at the 1/4 mile dragstrip. I see the newer generation cars pulling off at the first turn off at the end of the track while I am still tugging on the reins and must always use the last turn off at the end of the track.

I am thinking of these calipers, but may only get better looks perhaps? ..and as I intend to stay with 15" wheels, perhaps the only thing left is to go from the stock 10.75" rotors to 12" rotors? I noticed many of the after market rotors are ~11.1" and a few at 11.75".

mike

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. SLO_Z28

SLO_Z28 Veteran Member

They are lighter than the stock units, and losing sprung weight is a HUGE positive. However they have less clamping force than the stock units, because although they have more pistons they have a lower total Piston Surface Area. They argument that more pistons is better because it more evenly clamps the brake pad is invalid, because the stock calipers don't deflect, or "banana" the pads.

IMO the loss of clamping force is evened out by the loss of weight, so I wouldn't consider them better or worse. The only way I could really justify purchasing them is in a situation where you can see them, as they are a major cosmetic upgrade.

3. Z28 Mark

Z28 Mark Veteran Member

I have them on my 73 Z28 and I like them- Just bleed them well and maybe I would add new lines to the caliper.

4. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree the next step up is the forged dynolite series that Wilwood has with the larger 12" roter and 4 piston caliper. Some modification of the spindle and a 15" wheel can be run, but not stock wheels. My '73 has the American Racing Torque Thrust II and I have a kit that does fit. D52 is cosmetic.

5. DentDude

DentDude Veteran Member

I just put them on my car,but I havent driven it yet to see the performance of them yet.[​IMG]

6. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm not convinced that they offer nothing.

I've got more tire than brake- 275/40/17s up front, with 1LE discs on B-Body spindles, larger D614 pads, and the factory calipers. At the limit (0.8g is about the best I can muster), the pedal feels like something metal is flexing. I suppose it could be the brake lines, but I've often wondered if I'm over-taxing the caliper. Whatever it is, I cannot lock the brakes.

Point to all this- I suspect the bridge might actually be stronger on the above caliper. At the limit, the single piston might be allowing some flexing of the inner pad, so the twin piston may help spread the clamping force along the length of the pad some, too. Bottom line for me, I'd have to try it to see.

7. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have them with SSBC 12" rotors but can not comment on if the change improved braking as I added the 2000 Camaro rear brakes and all the rubber lines were upgraded to braided stainless at the same time.
    I can tell you if you upgrade to the 12" rotors some 15" wheels will not fit, especially Rally wheels. The 15x7 and 15x6 Rally wheels both rubbed on the Wilwood caliper but not the stock GM caliper. Torque Thrust D 15x7 cleared but were so close stick on weights could not be used. With 11" rotors there were no issues.

Front

[​IMG]

Rear

[​IMG]

8. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A 12.19" rotor and 4 piston caliper in a 15"x7"x 3 3/4" BS wheel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  9. wardracing

wardracing Veteran Member

i have got them in the front and 2 smaller diameter pistons for the rear converted it to manual braking upgraded everything to stainless and braided stainless lines upgraded the rear to 1.25x11.75 wilwood rotors in the back and jegs 11 inch rotors in front and wilwood pads all the way around.

i did it mostly for weight saving and cosmetics but it does spread the force more evenly therefor more surface area is used, now saying that its less pressure can be changed by change diameter of the mc or changing the pedal ratio, and i know this is far fetched but in theory your taking heat away from the brakes bc of the aluminum body and the stainless steel piston is a huge improvement as well, over all its a better design then the stock calipers.

10. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good info guys