Wilwood stock replacement D52 calipers

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Tokyo Torquer3, Oct 5, 2011.

1. SLO_Z28

SLO_Z28 Veteran Member

Any way you cut it, it has too small of a piston setup so it will have less clamping force than stock, and pad deflection is unchanged from stock. The stock calipers are far more rigid than these are too. If you want a REAL performance upgrade get the Superlite 4 calipers with the 12 inch rotor and the aluminum hat setup. You'll cut sprung weight, increase braking force, and increase cooling capability. SL4 setup is a true performance upgrade, and will fit SOME 15 inch wheels.

2. wardracing

wardracing Veteran Member

it also eliminates rust and bore pitting and they improved the piston seals, that means less maintenance on brakes overall

3. Tokyo Torquer3

Tokyo Torquer3 Veteran Member

I think the concensus is that it is bling but maybe important bling if you have nice open-spoked wheels that expose the brakes.

I have been around for a long time and I cant recall the last time I had a problem rust and bore pitting on the calipers. Not to say it doesnt happen, it is just not a selling point for me.

mike

4. Tokyo Torquer3

Tokyo Torquer3 Veteran Member

$1,775 at Summit for the Wilwood kit consisting of 12" rotors and calipers to stick on your stock modified spindles!!! A 1LE kit makes the only sense for 12" brakes with that kind of pricing.

mike

5. Jason7504

Jason7504 Veteran Member

what about the wilwood dynalite 4 piston calipers? those are a little more than the D52's but might offer better performance? i don't know but just throwing it out there as a possible option. I'm also curious to know

6. Jason7504

Jason7504 Veteran Member

yeah forget that..the 1LE kit is the best bang for the buck for 12" brakes. I'm going to upgrade to the 1LE kit soon. If I was going to pay around $1500 for brakes, it sure wouldn't be for 12" rotors, i'd get the 13" set up from custom works or PTFB. You get everything including 13" rotors and wilwood SL4 calipers.

7. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

The stock OE single piston caliper has (one) 2.94 in diameter piston vs the Wilwood D52 dual piston caliper which has (two) 2.0 in pistons.

How do you figure thats less piston area?

8. fast72

fast72 Veteran Member

I currently have the following for sale if anybody is interested, I will make a better deal if you buy both sets:

Wilwood Dynalite Calipers "NEW" 4 piston Calipers - part number 120-6791-P for a .81 Rotor

PAIR/SET for $260.00 OBO That is like 130.00 each where summit charge me 176.95 EACH...My loss is your gain.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-120-6791-P/

and...

Wilwood Dynalite calipers "NEW" 4 piston Calipers - part number 120-5648-P for a .81 Rotor...

PAIR/SET for $275.00 OBO That is like 137.50 each where summit charge me 191.95 EACH...My loss is your gain.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-120-5648-P/

PM me with any questions or if your interested...Thank you, Bill

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  9. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperList.aspx?subname=GM D52 Dual Piston

They have the piston surface area there. The factory 2.94 (2 15/16") have 6.78 sq in. The biggest wilwood are 6.28 adding two 2" pistons together-so less surface area of the pistons. 3.1416 x radius squared gets the math there for sq in.

One thing I found out for a fixed caliper(non floating) you only use 1/2 the piston sizes.

10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Where are you getting that info?

Desmo- it is less piston area- 2*2.00= 6.28sq in. On the late 2nd factory caliper, 2.9375" diameter gets you 6.77sq in. This just means you have to press harder on the pedal to get the same hydraulic force.

Nonetheless, I do wonder about pad flex at/near the limit, particular for those of us using the larger D614 pads.