window felt

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by LayZ, Sep 23, 2015.

1. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

How hard is it to change out the outer window felt on the door? looks really easy, just looks like it's screwed on. Anyone know a place where i can get them? It started scratching the window so it's time to replace.

2. cbraswell

cbraswell Veteran Member

I have to do this as well and it doesn't sound all that hard. IIRC, you may have to move the window stop down so that the window comes down far enough to get to all the screws??

3. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

FBody

Pete has put up a good vid in the FBody Warehouse web sit. They have a lot of good vids.

4. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

Oh no the ones that are on the inside are easy as cake. It's the ones that are on the outside of the glass.

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The inside ones are attached to the inner door panel with staples so you remove the inner panel to change them. The outer ones are attached to the door with screws, so all you have to do is remove the screws and the old one comes off. The new one goes on the same way with the original screws.
    I see here that everybody drops the glass inside the door to make more room to get to the screws, but I changed mine just by rolling the windows down.
    New ones are available at all the restoration shops. There are two different kinds of outer sweeps. Some cars have the optional stainless strips along the top of the door. These cars get window sweeps with no chrome attached to them. Cars with standard trim don't have the stainless strips on the top of the door, so they get sweeps with a small chrome bead as part of the sweep.

6. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had to roll my windows all the way down with the lower stops removed to get to all the screws.