Window seal leaks

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Steve Assaiante, May 9, 2021.

1. Steve Assaiante

Steve Assaiante New Member

I have a 78 Camaro and my window seals leak I have replaced them with new ones from classic industries the windows do not meet the seals right I've tried Adjusting the doors and windows If anyone has any ideas please let me know thanks

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Pictures would help, but you may need to add some extra foam gaskets between the window frame and the seal.

3. Steve Assaiante

I posted a picture not sure if you can see that well I'm not sure how that would work because the seals lock into a channel

Attached Files:

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I've found that I had to put spacers/washers behind the weatherstripping channel in various locations to get the curvature to match the window better. Just 70s manufacturing quality...

5. CDesperado

Thats a really interesting idea. Im about to have to pull my Passenger side seal down and do something because I have about a 1/8" gap between the window and the seal. So Im assuming you put the spacers between the inside (upwards-facing) window weather strip channel and the bottom (downward facing) area of the roofline?

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

That's correct. Yeah I had about 1/8 gap as well... the roofline curvature just didn't match the window very well.

7. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Looks like you need some more tedious window & door alignment
    Lets see a photo from a few feet back from door

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  8. CDesperado

To fix my problem (which was really bad on the Passenger side) I added an extra 1/8" strip of weather adhesive to the back side of the weather strip channel. The window now sits snugly against the weathstripping and I was lucky to not have to re-align the windows.

So it goes like this:

Body of Roofline
    1/8" thick weatherstrip (adhesive backed) - This is what I added
    1/8" thick weatherstrip (adhesive backed) - This is what I had already attached to the channel and was the OEM/factory thickness.
    Weather Strip Channel
    3M Super Black Weatherstrip Adhesive
    Weatherstrip

9. Steve Assaiante

Thanks for the advice was the weatherstripping rubber or foam and were did you buy it from Thanks Steve

10. CDesperado

Its basically a specific type of closed cell foam, which I believe is the neoprene type. I'm drawing a blank about that, so I would need to go check. (People make this closed cell foam out of polyethylene, neoprene, and some other type of foam rubber. I bought multiple products and compared the texture, density, and absorption tests. It was clear that one product more closely resembled what originally was on the car. I can take pics if you like.)

Btw, I found a product at Lowe's that looked sort of similar, but the Auto-grade products looked to be better with better quality foam. I dont know how to explain it, but you could feel the difference in texture and weight, and they were basically the same price.

Anyway... I bought this foam in a giant roll, because I cut all my own weatherstripping pieces. I also used this to cut a gasket that rests in between the body of the car and the chrome B-pillar trim and a few other things. I ended up with a lot over, but I've used it in various ways around the house and some projects here and there. It's been handy and I have used a lot of it.

But it looks exactly like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RDDC2...d_r=5ec586ca-c698-4477-b784-aa5d4608c038&th=1

I think the Lowe's stuff (that I opted out of) was more like this - The Low density seems fine until you look at a different product side by side.
    https://www.amazon.com/fowong-Low-D...t=&hvlocphy=9026794&hvtargid=pla-841410897524