Window shaker recommendations...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by chevyJeff1, Jun 28, 2020.

1. chevyJeff1

chevyJeff1 Veteran Member

Just looking to see what everyone uses for window a/c units. My garage is 28x28, and 9 foot ceiling. Walls and doors are insulated. It gets pretty damn muggy here in the mid-Atlantic lol. I’m using a 5000 btu only because it came with the garage but it barely keeps the sweat off lol.

Thanks in advance...

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I'm running an 11,000 window btu unit in my garage. My garage is 24x48 with 10' ceiling. A unit this size doesn't have the ability to cool the temp much, but my garage is well insulated so it is usually fairly cool inside. The A/C unit only needs an hour or two of running to take out the humidity and once the air is dry, I'm very comfortable in there at 80-85 degrees.

chevyJeff1 likes this.
  3. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

1982 JC Penny 12,500 BTU in wall/window unit. Works in the AM but, when it hits about 110, has a lot of trouble and sucks electricity like a thirsty camel.
    20X20 garage with double ceiling drywall and insulated door.

chevyJeff1 likes this.
  4. chevyJeff1

Thanks guys. Ok yea I was thinking at least 8000 btu with the layout I have but I think that might be a little light considering the humidity level that is here in Virginia. So prolly 10,000 Btu is the the ticket

5. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

I'm using a 10000 btu in my 24x32 open ceiling but insulated with 3 inch thick R19 all around. It will bring temp down to 80 and very comfortable humidity in an hour or so in the southeast Ohio humidity. I also have a ceiling fan on low.

chevyJeff1 likes this.
  6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Insulation if your friend here. Before trying to cool a garage, super insulate it. Then, most of the work is done before the air conditioner tries to do its work. We have been around 100 degrees every day for a few days now and more days like that are in the forecast. My garage with no help other than the insulation is sitting as 76 degrees this afternoon.

chevyJeff1 and Revin like this.
  7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Back in the late 80's - I actually sold window AC's (among other things). Standard rule of thumb is 20 BTU's per sq ft.

So a 10,000 BTU is the size for up to 500 sq ft. Your garage is 784 sq ft with a 9' ceiling. A 16,000 BTU unit is what I'd be looking at with your 9' ceiling.

Too small, they run almost all the time and don't ever really cool. Too big, they don't dehumidify before they shut off. I'd rather be a little undersized than oversized, but 10,000 is too small.

I haven't bothered to put AC in my 1200 sq ft shop. As Gary posted, I've got it very well insulated (R19 walls/R38 ceiling/insulated door), so it stays reasonably cool most all the time unless it gets super hot and humid.

I just spent most of a day last week removing the interior on the GTO, installing new carpet and then putting it all back together and never broke a sweat with all the doors closed. I do have two ceiling fans for real hot days.

That said, I do have heat...;)

chevyJeff1 likes this.
  8. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

I installed a solar attic fan in my 3 stall garage when I lived in Florida. Hooked up a dryer vent tube to the fan and then to a 16 x 16 register (vent) in the ceiling. Lowered the temp around 15 F. My only concern would be snow accumulation on the roof in the winter.

chevyJeff1 likes this.
  9. chevyJeff1

Great info Gary thanks. I got lucky really as this garage was already built when I bought the place. It was built right...Plywood ceilings and roll out insulation in all walls. Top of the line insulated doors. Its actually a 3 car garage (3 doors), but the last bay is separated from the rest with it's own wall and walkthrough door so I didn't need to state the full square footage. Lol must have been the last owners little retreat from the wifey. :happy:

10. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you have the ability to do this yourself, I put one of these in my shop a few years ago and really could not be happier. The unit comes pre filled with freon and the installation was pretty much a piece of cake. Just drilled smallish holes in the walls for the coolant lines and condensate lines, then ran an 240v outlet to my outside wall. Works very well. It is quite, efficient and really cools the place down. I do not run it all the time and just turn it on when I'm going to be out there for awhile. Bonus is that in the winter it reverses and becomes a really efficient heater. The thing puts out more heat than my 240 v 5 kW heater and uses about 1/2 of the electricity.

https://www.highseer.com/collection...-ahri-cert-energy-star?variant=24482369175616

--

chevyJeff1 likes this.