Window Trim Clips Recommendation Needed

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by billkrz, Dec 17, 2020.

1. billkrz

billkrz Member

Hello to all. I'm restoring a '73 Type LT and am having problems with the reveal moldings especially the upper corners of the rear window. I am using the OER Trim Clips and there seems to be a slight difference between these and the original trim clips.
    Is there a difference in the quality/brand of the reproduction trim clips? If so, which brand is best?
    I'm also assuming that the front and rear clips are the same.
    Thank you in advance for any assistance!
    Bill

2. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think I bought mine from NAPA. I didn't like the ones from yearone or NPD at the time I bought mine years ago. NAPA has a large variety to pick from. Couple of weeks ago I could have got a pic of the front, but recently installed so not taking them back off. Post a pic of yours. Your talking about the clips that slide lock onto the window channel post studs right? There shouldn't be any in the corners of a 70-74. There is a tool you use to pry them out when you install the trim. Also sometimes there is a plastic insert that slides into the back side channel of the molding. I don't know if it's to prevent rattling or what. The glass company that installed my rear had to put a little silicone between molding and glass and used painters tape to hold it down until the silicone cured. Hope this helps. Ask more questions if you still need help. This forum is awesome. A ton of knowledgeable and helpful people here.

3. ChevyReb

I think the ones I used were one of the silver packs, maybe the shorter ones.

Attached Files:

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, the front and rear clips should be the same. (Metal, not the plastic ones.)

I've never had to buy any of them so I don't have a part number for you.

5. HOGDADDY

HOGDADDY Veteran Member

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You want the factory metal clips as stated.

7. HOGDADDY

HOGDADDY Veteran Member

The Auveco are metal but also has a green protective coating on them. I have a box somewhere.

8. ChevyReb

I took an original clip with me to NAPA and picked out the closest one of those from pics I posted above and they worked fine. I used to see some years factory with the plastic clips when I found trim in the junk yards. '70-'81's not very common to find in pull a parts these days.

9. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Avoid clips that are black coated. They will rust out quickly. Was told this by the mobile glass installer who put my front-rear glass back in. For durability, originals are the best choice. Avoid plastic for they will dry out and break.