window trim opinions Z-28 1980

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by mnz28, Jul 26, 2005.

1. mnz28

mnz28 Veteran Member

OK so if I am correct on this, the Z-28's had black trim around the windows but polished aluminum drip rails and chrome on the top lip of the door.
    choice # 1
    Black trim around windows,polished aluminum drip rails and chrome on the top lip of the door.
    Choice #2
    polished aluminum trim around windows and polished aluminum drip rails and chrome on the top lip of the door.
    The car is charcoal gray I was thinking about doing it all black but I cant anodize the top of door chrome

2. 79zron

79zron Veteran Member

I did all of mine in black, I media blasted all the trim, window and door, to include the chrome on the window felts, then painted with sem trim black, I think it came out great. "imo" I also did the same with the door handles, but didn't like it, so I left them chrome with the stainless door locks, I think it ties in nicely with my polished torq thrust ll's. email if you want I will send you pics and judge for yourself.

------------------
    79z28,ac: 80 z28, t-tops,a/c, 2nd owner on both

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I did all of mine with black powder coating. Window trim (front, rear and sides), door handle, headlight rings and I got a black lock cover from GM.

That strip on the door was a trick... It won't take the heat of a powdercaoting oven so I used black-out tape on that piece. It matched very well and you would never notice unless you look at the ends closely.

Click the camera for a view.

[This message has been edited by Twisted_Metal (edited July 27, 2005).]

4. Mitch'80Z

Mitch'80Z Veteran Member

I left mine polished. It is just enough bright-work with the thin bead on the fuzzies, door handles, and locks to look right.

I used to have the wide bright-trim option with polished trim everywhere but had the body shop delete that druing the repaint.

My car is black with red decals, black N90's, and carmine interior.

------------------
    355 cid; World S/R Torquer heads; 9.3:1 Flattop hyper's; Comp XE262H; Weiand A+ intake; SMI custom Q-Jet; B.W. ST-10 4sp; Centerforce D/F clutch; Hurst Comp. Plus shifter; 3.08 posi; Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust w/ Jet Hot coated Hooker Comp's.