Windshield install --- RUBBER seal vs. Metal Trim...

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by EricsZ28, May 13, 2013.

1. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm curious to hear some feedback on this. I'm considering using a rubber seal (late model windshields) in place of the original metal trim when I have my windshield replaced. Specifically, pro's or con's.

My car is black. My metal windshield trim is painted flat black from GM, and it collects chips like crazy.

I found this old thread by dwright406: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66240

Here is his car:
    [​IMG]

2. joshp01

joshp01 Veteran Member

Looks great! I would like to know as well

3. AlwaysWaven

AlwaysWaven Veteran Member

Man, this could solve my leaking problems!

4. EricsZ28

Yeah, lots of good reasons to do this. I want to get rid of all those brittle plastic clips, too. I personally like the look, but I'm sure there are those who prefer the original look. I really like the look around the back window, too.

If I read that thread correctly, it looks like Dwright used 1" rubber. I would prefer the thinner 3/4" personally. I'm curious if anyone has done this / seen this done with the thinner trim as well. It seems like I saw this done before on this site, but I couldn't find the old thread.

5. qn60e6

qn60e6 Veteran Member

I've read on one of the posts here that the 3/4" is a little too thin for the sharp bends. I have visited equalizer and they are professionals at what they do. Anyways, a roll will cost you around 54-60 bucks for I believe a 75-100 foot roll. If you do a search in the progress section for "retromod" he did it at home and actually shows in detail what was done.

6. EricsZ28

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  7. qn60e6

qn60e6 Veteran Member

yep, that's the one

8. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

I would think that the windshield would need to have the proper shape to be flush mounted because as far as I know,thats the only way to mount it with this style strip. I believe they did this on the Year One Smokey and the Bandit T/A,and it required special custom made glass,and modified window channels. The glass in our cars sits about 1/2" or more below the body surface to accomidate the metal trim,and if you raise it until the top of the windshield(longest surface) is even close to the same height as the body,the sides will be both too far away from the window bed as well as too short width wise to make contact with the body of the car.

9. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Oops,my bad,I thought you were talking about using the late model type window ribbon to mount the glass. My bad.

I like the way that looks. If it were me,I would have run one continous piece around the bottom and made a cut at each upper corner like the factory trim. Maybe with a steady hand and a sharp razor it could have been done with the ends meeting at a perfect 45 angle like miter cut trim around the windows of a house. Other then that,I REALLY like the look.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  10. EricsZ28

Just a quick follow up. The installer came today and had two choices of rubber channel molding. I believe the 3/4" molding was a #7 and the 1" molding was a #8.

We tried both, and the 3/4" was too small. Now, it is important to note that I left the studs for the trim clips in place. Had I removed the studs, and pushed the windshield up, the 3/4 MAY have worked. But clearly, the 1" was the correct size for this application.

I'm very happy with it. Not to mention that this glass was well installed. No more windshield rattles :screwup: Now I'm going to paint the t-top trim black...

Here is how she turned out:
    [​IMG]