Windshield Installed with Silicone?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 71 Camaro, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 71 Camaro

71 Camaro Veteran Member

Why not? I can think of many pluses, but no minuses. What am I missing?

Pluses:
    cheap
    sticks to most anything
    can reposition glass as needed
    if it ever leaks it would be simple to fix
    easy clean up

I've done commercial and residential glazing and have used this stuff as a permanent sealant under conditions far more demanding than a windshield.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Silicone is messy crap. If you want a truly sealed windshield, get yourself a tube of urethane windshield sealer like the professionals use and do it right.

3. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What is the shear strength of the resultant bond? Far lower than urethane I'd wager. You don't need it to just be a sealant you need to make the windshield structurally integral with the body.

4. 71 Camaro

71 Camaro Veteran Member

OK I understand that part. That is why some prefer urethane over butyl right?

Originally though weren't they installed with butyl? I think that is the black stuff I'm looking at is. Silicone would make as good or better bond and it is nowhere near as messy.

If safety were a big concern I wouldn't even drive a 2nd gen Camaro. Seriously compared to modern cars they are basically deathtraps. So thinking maybe not adding a whole lot more risk to the equation using silicone.

Not seriously considering doing this either. I just can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work at least as well as the other two, safety concerns aside.

5. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

I would think 80% of it would squish out when setting the windshield in place. Original butyl stuff is relatively cheap, why take the chance?

6. BondoSpecial

Butyl tape was a used car lot way of reinstalling glass. The original glass had a cloth dam and some sort of adhesive was injected in, if you remove original glass that has never been reset it has a zipper like tape behind it that prevented the original adhesive from flowing out.

You lose me when you start saying things like "if I wanted to be safe". Whatever dude.

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just go ahead an duit, you've done your research... Let us know how it turns out.

8. BondoSpecial

I had a 76 Firebird that the previous owner had set the rear glass in with black adhesive silcone. I pushed it out with my hands. It's not even close to a comparable material to urethane. There is a reason the DOT requires windshields to be installed using specific methods and specific materials.

9. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

This^ lol

10. 71 Camaro

71 Camaro Veteran Member

OK let me slow it down for you a tick. A 71 Camaro had no ABS. A 71 Camaro had no air bags. I doubt if it crumples in a collision like modern cars are designed to do. Just like riding a motorcycle, I figure a certain amount of risk is inherent when driving an old car, so not so sure if whether the windshield becoming part of the structure or not is a big concern if the car is going to ball up around you like a beer can anyway.

For the reading impaired: I am NOT intending to do it this way, just wondering why people don't?

Yep glass would sink like a rock into the bead, but some simple spacers in the channel might be employed to stop this from happening.

A little thought and discussion goes a long way guys. 5 years ago if you asked on this web site if the dreaded dash curl could be repaired the answer was a resounding NO. Guess what? That was wrong, many have found ways of dealing with it. Just cause everybody says to do something the same way doesn't mean there isn't another maybe even better way. I like to try new things and most of the time I don't regret it. When I do, hey I learned something and am honing my skills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.