Windshield replacement cost

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 1970Camaro, Jan 22, 2021.

1. buildinmy73

buildinmy73 Veteran Member

I also had mine installed at my friends Autobody shop .
    So he could watch and make sure they set the windshield correctly at the right height .

2. Bentley

Bentley Member

I hope not, worst of the worst of the worst.... NOBODY who is in the glass industry ( I was for over 35 years) uses Safelite or their "Thin" windshields....

72'z'steve likes this.
  3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Thin? You feel that this company installs glass that doesn't meet DOT and other federal safety requirements?

4. Bentley

Bentley Member

As said above, I was in the glass industry for over 35 years.. I knew multiple people who worked for and INSTALLED for Safelite.. ALL of them said the WS's were a bit thin and seemed to break easier than other brands.. Again, NOBODY who worked in the glass industry would use Safelite OR their windshields..
    Perhaps you could give us YOUR experience in this industry????

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

What's up with some of the grumpy attitudes here lately...did I say I was experienced in the industry? Its a bold statement to insinuate a company like Safelight should be avoided, its a serious question and requires you to back it up....does their glass not meet DOT and Federal safety laws??

6. Bentley

Bentley Member

OK, now listen closely, People in the Glass industry do not use Safelite.. People I have known who installed WS's for Safelite would not use a Safelite WS in there personal cars...
    OK so far?? Have I said they do not meet DOT or Federal laws??? No, didn't say that... I am sure they meet the legal specifications....
    You actually sound like a Safelite employee??? LOL... I have know many that have worked there.....

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  7. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

I think you and badazz might be having a bit of a misunderstanding. After all, we're we're not all Shakespeare's when it come to writing, but you're coming off a bit aggressive. I think he was just looking for some facts to back up.your assertion. Are they really thinner ie., Actual measurements? As someone in the industry, you ought to have something to hold up as an example?

I enjoy this forum very much because it's full of mature, thoughtful individuals, and aggressive posts seem to stand out more. I'm sure badazz wasn't calling you a liar, but if you're going to make claims, one should be able to cite an example or two.

8. hd_cat

hd_cat Member

Use the Enthusiast community to find an installer who specializes in earlier vehicles, we have a Rep in the Cincinnati area who installed the new windshield and reinstalled the rear glass for about $250, to be honest, I don't recall the cost to remove the glass before the paintwork, possibly another $100, but I think it was less.

9. deldridge

deldridge New Member

I used Safelite a few years ago, I had a small branch fall from a tree and crack my windshield in a 78 Z28 that I had. I had the car insured with just liability insurance and for like $8 a month I got 0 deductible comprehensive insurance added to my policy and It covered the windshield along with vandalism, theft etc... The windshield didn't cost me a thing and Safelite came to my house and replaced it in my driveway, I was pleased with them and I never noticed anything different about the Safelite windshield from the original, it was tinted and had the antenna just like stock, If the glass is thinner?, I never noticed after it was installed. No, I don't work for Safelite and I don't sell insurance.

10. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

My Safelite story-[their tagline in their commercial] I had windshield installed in 05 minivan,insurance did everything for me [my mistake]windshield has wrong tint,interior heats up like crazy,has distortion on both side curves like fun show mirror,called them,"my original' w/s had an aftermarket tint they said and all windshields have distortion :rolleyes:.I looked at other vans with MOPAR glass and the tint was much better darn near the same as side glass-I was so agitated I almost had the neighbor kid break it so I could get a new one somewhere else but hey I'll wait until a dump truck does it for me!
    Second "safelite story" next door neighbor had rear side glass replaced on their minivan [opens out at rear] all done good to go.John took it to the store,could actually see the window had gap at rear where it didn't close!! Called them back 2 times first couldn't adjust it,second said "your van has collision damage improperly repaired" thats why glass does not fit :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: your problem not ours-he bought van new and only time it saw a body shop was AFTER he bounced those fools and had a local family owned body shop install a NEW side window which was had correct curvature unlike the POS safelite glass. They had do do alot of work to correct the bending/adjusting to the actuator and hinge done to try and make the POS glass fit.They said anyone with experience,common sense would have stopped there realizing something was wrong.He has USAA ins and they took care of his "Safelite Story",
    Sorry for the rant but I laugh when I see those sissy Safelite commercials.Their installers must be inexperienced fools and their customer service rivals dealing with your cable/satelite companies-Later Steve!!

Camarokiddave likes this.