Windshield trim/molding clips

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by sexypizzaman, Jan 24, 2021.

1. sexypizzaman

sexypizzaman New Member

Hey guys. Searched on here and on the web to find some pics but came up empty handed.

I am in the process of reinstalling my chrome windshield and rear window molding. I bought the 38 piece set from fbodywarehouse that has the 2 different style clips. 12 front and 24 rear. I can not for the life of me get the molding to latch into the front clips. I am not sure I have the clips attached the studs properly but have tried every other possible way and this seems to be the only way that makes sense, although I still can't see how the inner molding channel is supposed to clip to these things. Am I missing something here? Do I have them upsidedown inside out and backwards or what gives? I am applying a lot of force to the molding at the clip locations but it doesn't seem to matter and I don't want to damage the molding if I'm not doing this right. Please see pics below showing how I have the clips on the studs. Thanks for you help guys!

Attached Files:

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

3. sexypizzaman

sexypizzaman New Member

Those came in the kit as well, but are for the rear window. Apparently the front window trim uses these different clips? According to the kit that fbodywarehouse sells stating "correct front and rear clips for '70-81 Camaro and Trans Am". I saw in another thread on here another member bought the same kit, there's no way they would be selling this complete kit with these different clips if it were incorrect. Maybe somebody can verify they have bought that kit and installed those clips successfully? Here is a link to the kit, the clips you are referring to are included but for the rear window.

https://fbodywarehouse.com/fbw/cata...indow-Trim-Clip-Set-38pc-w-INSTALL-p-204.html

4. badazz81z28

Can you post a side shot of a clip un-installed? The clips and the trim interact the same same for the front and rear. I had my trim off the windshield a few months ago and the clips were the same as the rear. See the profile in my pic. The sweep back of the clip catches the lip on the trim

Attached Files:

5. sexypizzaman

sexypizzaman New Member

Here are pics of the 2 clips and side shots of each. They are similar with the bend shape and little "hook" but the rear window ones are much more springy and make more sense. I just don't understand why they would include different clips for the front and rear windows when these front ones don't seem to work at all and aren't even necessary when the rear style clips seem to be common on the front? I'm just confused

Attached Files:

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Front and rear clips are the same on the production line.
    These are what the factory used.
    A83A7C96-EE9A-4DE3-AA15-ED4E10065890.jpeg 0DD2F935-6B55-45CE-9EFE-A0774867140B.jpeg
    C9833A95-650D-41CB-92E4-8DD5559EB2EB.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  7. badazz81z28

That design looks like it "would" work, but since they don't...they are probably crappy clips. You can use the ones I have as well as the ones COPO posted for front and back with no issues. The design is the same.

8. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Look at figure "E"

Attached Files:

9. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do you have the proper removal/ installation tool? I agree with COPO and Lapedr said and showed above. Same clips work front and back and I got mine from NAPA. One of these packs in pics. Get the ones that look closest to the one COPO posted pics of.

Pic of tool simar to mine. I think mine is more Cresent moon shape than arrow point one in pic below. I put strip of duck tape on the edge to try and protect the pain. New clips with repo trim you need to use the to to pull back a little while lightly pushing tri. Down. Work slow, don't get frustrated, if you do walk away and come back. This stuff can be very stressful unless you are a descendent of Job.

Attached Files:

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Before using the proper tool, I always undid the clips using a Linoleum Flooring Knife.