WINDSHIELD WIPERS

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER, Oct 11, 2020.

1. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER Member

I own a 1971 split bumper with inoperative windshield wiper with the recessed feature. I am looking to replace them with new wipers. I prefer the recessed feature, but it doesnt have to be. I have looked at Newport, Classic Industries, and Detroit Speed. Does anyone have experience with any of these vendors or any others? Any recommendations? Thanks for your help in advance. Take care and stay safe.

2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

What part of the system is inoperative, the motor, switch or the linkage? This additional information will help us guide you.

3. Adams

Adams Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

From Motown (still in the blood), live in Houston
    I am not sure about the differences in recessed and not. Certainly the pump and motor assemblies are different and the arms have an extra bar to pull them down. However on both my 70 SS and my 71 Z28 the wipers return below the hood line and neither has the pump and motor for recessed wipers. I saw somewhere here once that all Z28's had recessed wipers but for sure mine don't have the big canister and round hole. Mine are both 2 speed oval firewall with the rectangular motor box.
    Why not just used recessed parts? I am sure someone here has them for less than Detroit Speed parts. I do have a Detroit Speed on my Buick GS but I really never drive in the rain so it was a waste of money.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The Z28 package did not include hideaway wipers. The SS package included the hideaway wipers. If you still have some or most of the original parts on the car, it would likely be easiest to get used parts and put it back to original. The fewer parts you have to add or change, the simpler the job to get things working right.

5. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

I converted mine to factory hideaway wipers. Purchased the correct motor from the auto parts store. Found all the other necessary parts on eBay. Modified the wiper switch per the sticker notes on this site. Easily done.

6. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

Hi Green Hornet, thanks for your thoughts. You know how to work on wipers. I purchased a Detroit speed wiper system maybe 10 years ago that I could not get to work right. They have come out with a revised design that I am contemplating buying. I dont drive in the rain so I really dont need them, but it would be nice to have working wipers anyway. thanks again and stay safe

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I have a brand new recessed wiper motor in the garage. I bought it, but then decided I wanted DSEs set-up. I would sell it if your interested. It’s complete with pump for the fluid.

Do you have DSEs old recessed kit?

8. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

Hi BA, what brand is your new recessed motor kit? What does the kit come with? How much does it cost? Why do you want to sell it? Why have you decided to get the detroit speed kit instead? Yes, I believe I have the DSE old recess kit, but have been unable to make it work correctly.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I’ll have to check when I get home. It’s a complete unit, new. Yeah my car is very much PT so I’m waiting for my DSE Kit

10. Adams

Adams Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

From Motown (still in the blood), live in Houston
    Agree that Z28's did not have recessed wipers. But check out these picks - standard wiper motor, original wipers, they tuck well below the hood??? B40A8FBB-15AF-42DF-8F27-1A63E2B123C4.jpeg

Attached Files: