Wiring - LED strips

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Chuck71RS, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can I take power from the interior dome light wiring in the trunk to power LED light strips in the trunk? If so do I split it or run power through the LEDs first then out to the dome light?

Dome light still uses the factory route of fuse panel, into the trunk , into a plug, exits the plug to the dome light

The interior dome light is LED
    Between the dome light wiring and the LED strips is an on-off toggle switch
    Power leaving the toggle switch splits with one lead going to a single strip. The other lead goes a second strip with a third connected at the end of this one

The LEDs has a separate 18 gauge power wire connected to the "BAT" terminal on the fuse panel but has lost continuity. Had been blowing the 20amp supply fuse. Attached a long jumper of 18 gauge connected to the lead disconnected from the fuse panel and strung it into the trunk. On the trunk end touched a multimeter probe and the other probe on the power wire I ran. MM shows no continuity.

Don't want to remove rear panels and seats to install a new separate run.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Those LED strips use very little current, adding to the existing wiring should be no problem.

Chuck71RS likes this.
  3. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I found where the power wire I ran lost continuity and was able to splice on a new lead.