wiring stereo power to the ignition switch

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Tru70SS/RS, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Tru70SS/RS

Tru70SS/RS Veteran Member

i have an aftermarket cd player in my '70 and right now i have it set up to work without the key. i now want to have it work only when the key is in the ignition.

can someone tell or describe the process on connecting the stereo power wire to the ignition power source? is it done on the fuseblock somewhere or is it located somewhere else????

2. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Either connect the Red stereo wire to the Yellow wire in the radio harness.
    OR run the Red stereo lead to the fusebox and plug it in on ACC terminal.

Leave the Yellow Stereo lead connected to the Battery source, either the Orange lighter wire or run the lead to the BATT terminal at the fusebox.

3. Jazn_84

Jazn_84 Veteran Member Gold Member

You need to find a power source that comes on with the key. The best way to do it is to open up your fuse box and take a 12v curcuit tester http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=75227-1781-GAT-400&lpage=none and with the key off, test the fuses and see which ones don't light the test light. Then turn the key on (not to the start position though) and recheck the ones that didn't light up to find which ones do now. Depending on if you have the original fusebox, or a new on, you will have to figure out which terminal you need to test. You should have a wire somewhere coming out of the fusebox for the radio though.