Wiring Validation / 74LT

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 74cam_mojo, Aug 10, 2008.

1. 74cam_mojo

74cam_mojo Member

I’m looking to clean-up my wiring while the motor is out. I did a lot of research through the Stickies / and wiring diagrams and got valuable info. Some issues are still fuzzy cause previous owners as well as myself did some mods to O.E., as follows:

Was Auto / Now Man trans.
    Assumption: No need for TCS Sw and assoc wiring and no need for #20 Correct????

Starter Alt connections : Was points / now HEI
    Existing: #10 Red from J Block (diagram shows Eng+Gen Conn?), to Solenoid large Pos Term w/ a #14 spliced into the #10 Red at the Solenoid running a few inches and cut (I could of done this, don’t remember)
    No fusible links on #10.
    (Help)

What replaces the #20 YEL on the R term on Solenoid for HEI???

The existing #10 RED Alt Bat terminates at the J block directly, that does not match the diagram. Is this correct???

Any advise is greatly appreciated:
    PS / It was running OK prior to pulling motor but always suspected batt drain.

2. Steve's 74

Steve's 74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I also converted from auto to manual and points to HEI, and installed headlight relays, remote solenoid and elec fan. All my wires are routed through conduit around the perimeter except 1 conduit along the valve cover that carries the alt, water temp and elec choke wires. The routing is like this:
    From the bat+ to the solenoid (mounted next to bat on the inner fender well)
    From solenoid down to starter.
    From solenoid down the pass side (with fusable link) to the firewall, along the firewall to the terminal block.
    From terminal block along the valve cover to the alternator.
    From terminal block along driver side firewall, down driver side to front corner 2nd terminal block - headlight relays and power to fan controller.
    The switch wire for the relays and the fan controller run back up this conduit thru the firewall to the fuse block.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  3. Steve's 74

Steve's 74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

Nice engine bay!
    I ran my wiring in similiar fashion for the alt/choke etc wires along the top of the motor in a loom. However, I ran all my batt/starter wires under the headers out of sight, tucked along the subframe and block. Got my spark wires under the headers as well.

[​IMG]

To help you, mojo, with your questions it would be helpful to see a wiring diagram for what you're talking about?
    I'm not too familiar with '74 wiring.
    As far as your starter goes though, iirc, should be a large wire from the battery to the large pos term, large wire from alt to same, and a small wire from the key switch to the solenoid.

I'll just add that when it comes to automotive wiring it's best not to get too caught up in what the factory did. You know what component requires what voltage when, and it's a piece of cake from there to make your own harness!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008