Wives, Money and Curiosity

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bcc7771, Feb 16, 2015.

1. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

My Wife is way more understanding than I myself am. While I hem and haw about spending the money on the car, she says F it, buy it. If its what it needs and you want it and we can afford it, then do it. She trusts me to do the right thing. And I trust her with her purchases too. (However, I will not let her pick the color of another car by herself again, lol) It helps that she enjoys the car, and likes to drive it on occasion too. We had a Camaro when we first married, and this one reminds us of those times. And she still freaks out when I drop the clutch and let it rip, just like she did 25 years ago. And I still do it. Repeatedly.

2. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Lately my wife has been talking about a 370Z. Maybe that's her plan to get "even" with me!

3. kawboy

kawboy Veteran Member

She works, I work. I don't say anything about what she wants or buys and she doesn't say anything about my stuff. Our bills are paid and the kids are fed, etc. Our oldest daughter went to Europe over the summer on a school trip. I tell her about what I bought, not can I? I bought a pair of NOS quarter panels and I told her what I paid for them (it was a deal). Then I told her what to sell them for if something should happen to me. This is the way it has always been since we have been together (27yrs). It works for us, I think you just have to have trust with each other.

4. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

We are both savers, we force ourselves to spend some of the money lol

Each week we pay ourselves an allowance, it varies, the bills and financial goals get met first, the left overs we divide in half and spend it on crap we want not related to the household. My wife likes getting hair cuts and her nails done and buying clothes. I'm more of a go out and have a good time type (karting with my son, sporting events etc).

It definitely helps to make a lot more money then your bills require, it makes life a lot more enjoyable ;)

5. txwooley

txwooley Veteran Member

Last summer my 19 year old daughter convinced my wife and I that she needs a more reliable car to go to college in. I dug around on CL for a while and got side-tracked. Next thing I know I have a 1979 Dodge Lil Red Express Truck sitting in the garage for $3,000. Wife and daughter are still pissed.

We keep a play money account that gets a few hundred dollars every payday. That money is for her shopping, our going out to eat, the Camaro and LRE, whatever we want to just spend money on. As long as there is money in the play account, she is okay with whatever I buy for my hobby.

6. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The wife and I basically keep separate finances, and it works out really well for us. I've seen enough couples fight about money in my day.