Wix/Napa oil filter

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
I have bought some pretty high quality Chinese stuff, including tools. If I can get my hands on a Chinese Wix filter, I will cut it open and compare it to a USA one. And just to sprinkle a bit more gunpowder on the fire, I'm going to cut open the Fram I have on my engine right now that I installed to prime and run the engine before i stuck it back in the car last fall.

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
Depending who the seller is, watch out for counterfeits. There’s a reason why their cheap.

What's retail on that filter? We pay $2-4 each for most of our oil filters, Wix when they are available from the contracted vendor or Napa Gold when they aren't.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
In Canada it’s $7.93 CAD ea, or $6.43 US. Comparing your prices and our prices is like comparing apples to oranges.

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
In Canada it’s $7.93 CAD ea, or $6.43 US. Comparing your prices and our prices is like comparing apples to oranges.

I've also found the prices the city is able to negotiate are damn near at cost most times too so it's not a fair comparison most times.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
I have bought some pretty high quality Chinese stuff, including tools. If I can get my hands on a Chinese Wix filter, I will cut it open and compare it to a USA one. And just to sprinkle a bit more gunpowder on the fire, I'm going to cut open the Fram I have on my engine right now that I installed to prime and run the engine before i stuck it back in the car last fall.

Nearly everything is made in China....Yes...Taiwan is also considered China (ROC)....

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
Off topic, but watching a Mecum Auction yesterday and they show bids in US dollars and Canadian, pretty steep increase these days. I would have thought all the stimulus debt would even that out. 8 bucks for a Wix filter is nuts.