Wix/Napa oil filter

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
As promised, I cut the Fram filter open today.
Cardboard ends? Yes. But, solidly glued, no gaps anywhere, no degradation.
36 pleats in filter.
Rubber anti-drainback valve.(I know...filter wa just used for priming and running engine to dial it in again). Flat steel end spring that keeps the filter tight in the can.
Outer can: .0110 thickness.
Overall, nothing leaping out as horrible.
Will do a similar autopsy on my Wix/Napa filter when the time comes.
View attachment 119790 View attachment 119791 View attachment 119792 View attachment 119793 View attachment 119795 View attachment 119796

S
As promised (again) I just cut open the Wix/Napa Gold oil filter, and here is what I found:
Real coil spring on top of filter media. Fram had a weaker, flat spring. Probably means the Fram would bypass at a lower oil pressure.
Wix/Napa had .130 can metal thickness vs. Fram .110.
Wix/Napa had 58 pleats in the filter media vs 36 for the Fram.
Wix/Napa filter has solid steel end caps that are superbly bonded to the filter media. So much so that I could not pull them apart by hand, unlike the Fram.
My opinion? Fram is a good filter that is made as cheaply as possible to get the job done.
Wix/Napa is better made with better materials and more filtering media.

Attachments

• 20220509_111739.jpg
    20220509_111739.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 24

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
As promised (again) I just cut open the Wix/Napa Gold oil filter, and here is what I found:
Real coil spring on top of filter media. Fram had a weaker, flat spring. Probably means the Fram would bypass at a lower oil pressure.
Wix/Napa had .130 can metal thickness vs. Fram .110.
Wix/Napa had 58 pleats in the filter media vs 36 for the Fram.
Wix/Napa filter has solid steel end caps that are superbly bonded to the filter media. So much so that I could not pull them apart by hand, unlike the Fram.
My opinion? Fram is a good filter that is made as cheaply as possible to get the job done.
Wix/Napa is better made with better materials and more filtering media.

We had to stop using the Wix Wl10255 filters on the new Tahoe. The top seam wasn't sealed well and would open up 15-20 miles after the service and dump all the oil. We switched to Delco for now. Wix is not what they used to be

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
I'm wondering how many companies actually manufacture filters these days. I'm sure all of the big companies supply each other with at least some applications
Mann-Hummel owns Wix, whose budget line is Microguard
PG Filters makes the OEM filters for Hyundai/Kia along with a good chunk of the "STP" brand for Autozone - we tend to use these with fleet clients.
Nippon-Denso makes filters - their quality seems pretty good.
Hastings - I mostly see for Med/Heavy Duty applications same with Donaldson

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
So far the Wix and Napa filters that I've been using still say made in U.S.A., and all look the same inside when I cut them open. If that changes, I will try to find Baldwin in Canada.