Wobbling Right Rear Wheel

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Robert M Mrozek, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Robert M Mrozek

Robert M Mrozek Veteran Member

1970 Camaro. 10, 8.5" bolt rear axle. Rear tires are P275/40R18. Was waved down by someone to say my car looked great and that my right rear wheel was loose. I did not feel any vibration while driving not did i hear any wheel bearing grinding (but the exhaust and car is quite loud). I checked the lug nuts and nothing loose. I put rear axle on jack stands and watched the wheel spin and it is definitely wobbling/waving. Just the right wheel. Took off wheel and I can see the brake drum wobbling as well so it's not a bent rim. I have new rims, tires and I drive it normally. I have not experienced any hard impacts or accidents. Thinking either bad wheel bearing or bent axle shaft. Any suggestions on how to narrow the root cause to axle shaft or bearing? Thanks!
    Links to youtube video

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Going to be the axle. A bad bearing in the rear won't wobble. Oh course when you replace the axle you'll want to replace the bearing and seal at the same time. If I was going to change one axle I'd go ahead and do both, all kinds of stronger options out there now.

Pull the brake drum off and watch the axle flange to be sure. Make sure you don't touch the brakes with the drum off or you'll need to repair the wheel cylinder too. That movement in and out is fairly normal.

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I'd first try another wheel on that axle and look for runout. And make sure the axle face and inside mating face of the drum is clean.
    Cast iron doesn't like to bend but I guess for that little bit it could have?

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I also would check the wheel first .That is the easiest to replace then go from there

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

Tighten a couple nuts down on the drum before you spin it just to make sure the drum isn't sagging away from the axle face, but it does behave like a bent axle.
    Car sounds great too.

6. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

Pull the drum off and check for rust or dirt build up between the axle and the drum, same if its a rotor also.

7. Jim269

Jim269 New Member

I had the exact same problem on the left side. Replaced the axle/bearing/seal and problem gone....

8. Robert M Mrozek

Robert M Mrozek Veteran Member

Thanks to all for the advice. Great thread on how to troubleshoot this type of issue. Ended up being a bent axle shaft. Took it in to the Ring and Pinion Shop in Clinton Township, MI (great work!) and got new Moser 28 spline axle shafts and new bearings. Also had it in to change the ring and pinion from a 4.56 to a 3.42.

9. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3.42 should be a bit more relaxing to drive....LOL

10. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

And thank you for posting how this turned out. So few do and I like hearing the end results.

Robert M Mrozek likes this.