Words and phrases to retire

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by TwinnEngines, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mod, modded or modding. Use the whole word and sound like an adult. ;)

2. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

I use #5 all the time. If you where working with the people I work with, you would understand LOL.
    Heck sometimes I use them both in the same sentance!

The other day a kid said something so crazy i replied," Seriously!? you really thought that was a good idea? Really?? Honestly? your not joking? Seriously your joking right?"

3. ColdBastrd

ColdBastrd Veteran Member Gold Member

I so hate this one. When did this become a thing? Just say sorry or I messed up. "My bad" just makes it sound like you can't formulate a sentence correctly.

There are so many of these it's out of control. "Merch" instead of merchandise, "hood" instead of neighborhood, "mo" instead of moment (as in "give me a mo"), "vaca" instead of vacation (that one really annoys me), "vocab" instead of vocabulary. I could go on and on. It must have to do with the way people shorten things for texting and emails and it just seeps into all aspects of speech.

My sister really annoys me with her texting. She'll use U instead of you, 2 instead of to, C instead of see, and R instead of are. And I'll write her back saying, you are 47 years old, stop texting like you're 13 !

4. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

I hate this one too, it makes you sound like you're an insincere A-Hole.

5. bracketracer-78

bracketracer-78 Veteran Member

At the end of a sentence and instead of putting a period on it they end it with "as well". Every time I hear "as well" I just want to punch someone in the teeth. Also "you know".

6. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

A few I'm hearing from a high school step daughter

Ratchet
    Lit
    Turnt
    OMG

7. 81BirdMan

81BirdMan Veteran Member

Cammed.

Browsing craigslist today, saw someone use the term geared in regards to the differential. No ratio mentioned, just 'geared rear end'. :rolleyes:

8. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

I think that a lot of these terms and phrases should have never been started.

9. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

"Cray Cray" - Retarded, especially when a middle aged man says it.

"Chive On" - You're an idiot so take the sticker off your car.

Any internet or text speak. - We have an English language that is more than adequate for self expression. People are not only lazy but, also illiterate so they revert to this form of self expression.

Anything Snoop Dog says. This is self explanatory.

"Unacceptable" - People who think they are important enough to judge what is acceptable or not are plain ignorant and self absorbed.

Yeah, I'm a bit bitter.

I'll throw one in for Mary and me both........"Stance". I'm not sure a machine has a stance on anything.

10. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Actually, shortening words is big in California. Guess where the networks have their offices? Guess where the advertising writers who work have their offices. I worked in advertising a LONG time ago and one rule was, don't talk down to your customers and don't use slang they may not understand. There was a Nissan commercial once that I couldn't make out half of what they were saying.

I have money. I want to buy your product. I can't understand what you're saying so I'll go to your competitor.