worst fear realized

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by dmaz, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of
    I'll respectfully disagree..

If I assemble it myself I can most times beat the cost of a crate engine, if I have a decent core. If the block, crank, rods and heads are serviceable I can save a couple hundred easy doing it myself. Then I know what I have and know its built right, to my specs!

Add the gratification of saying "I built that" .. priceless!

2. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

If all it ends up needing is a bore & hone and some new pistons, by all means, rebuild it. If there's problems with the crank (spun bearings, grooves, etc.) or block (cracked) you're into the realm where buying new or starting with a different core probably makes more sense. Fortunately this can all be checked BEFORE you start throwing money into it.

3. dmaz

dmaz New Member

Unfortunately I'm a total newb and I'm not sure building the engine is something I'd be able to do. So is time what I'll be spending on this in order to determine if it's worth keeping jus tear down and inspect then take to machinist?

4. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

I see engines like that at the local pick n pull all the time. Its probably rebuildable . What you should look for is some place that rebuilds engines in your area an trade that one for a short block. I'd say get a crate engine but then you have to live with what you get. With a short block it your choose of heads, intake, an other things. Or have that one rebuilt an tell them to keep the heads, there most likely poop anyhow.

5. meanv8

meanv8 1980 Z/28

Probably be best to take apart and inspect the cylinder walls and heads. After seeing that, make your decision (to keep or source another engine) based on machine costs of what your working with.

6. dmaz

dmaz New Member

thanks everybody. does anybody mark their parts before taking to a machine shop? I have an engine rebuilding book and it suggests marking/stamping your parts before dropping off.

7. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

I always scribe the main caps with one of those electric things the order of the main caps. Like no. 1 for the first cap closest to the front of the engine/timing cover. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. If your going to reused the rods look at the parting line where the bolt is an if they aren't numbered already scribe numbers on each end, above an below such as 1 1, 2 2, 3 3. Those numbers will also tell you that that side of the rod faces outwards also. That's about it.