Would original 1979 paint crack like this?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by RePhil, Aug 10, 2019.

1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

If that's the only area on the car that looks like that I'd guess the quarter has been replaced many years ago, wreck damage. Not necessarily a deal killer even if so.

2. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Nice lookin project. Just the way I like em too, with the front clip off! Makes it easier to put the motor back in. :D You're in my neck of the Woods also... I'm about 40 mins from Lorain

RePhil likes this.
  3. RePhil

RePhil Veteran Member

What would you guys think a fair price would be for a clean body like this?

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

As is from the pic's. I think 1500.00 -2500.00 That is my opinion. I would shoot for lower like 1200.00.

RePhil likes this.
  5. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 79 Z has lead a very pampered life -pretty much always garaged and not left out in the sun. It has 31k miles and as the years have added, the trunk lid looks good from a distance, but up close it has developed light visible checking. So with more exposure, I'd bet it would look like that one.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

A lot of old original cars I have seen did have spider web cracks in the paint. That almost looks like bondo cracks.

7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

First off, real nice car, great find. The seller could be right in a way on the "all original paint" statement.

If inside trunk quarter shows no signs of damage, and trunk channels and wheel openings and door jambs have the original spot welds and dimples, that's a good sign the Qrt is original.

I worked at a GM body shop in the mid 80's, we had a Lacquer paint system, beside the acrylic Enamel one, car's got damaged on transport all the time, we brought them in before the customer, or anyone saw them, and would spot repair, or fix the dent(s) with Pink putty and Lacquer primer,(the good old days LOL) , from the pic's, if the stripes look original, they may have taped them up and did the blow in on that spot.

It's Lacquer, over time, in most cases, it cracks, some worse than others pending paint film thickness and environmental exposure.

Back then the OEM's allows several "attempts" to go through the paint process, just like today, and they have the "off line" paint-touch up booth" also. Damaged in transport to the dealership, and off to the paint shop again. I stripped and repainted 100's of GM's with Lacquer and other brands back in the day, but it comes off easy, and this "issue" your wondering about points that it may have been done back when it was new in 79, or a few years later with Lacquer, either way, great deal.

8. RePhil

RePhil Veteran Member

Thanks all for your tips and/or thoughts.

When I contacted the "seller" again he told me he decided to keep the car. Not sure what changed on his end. His ad listed the car as $2500 obo.