Would you buy a 3 yr old car from THE NORTH?

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
About to buy a used 2-3yr old Enclave. I am steadily seeing many of them listed that originated from "THE NORTH"!!! I aint from round there.... not sure how bad that environment is on vehicles especially NEWER vehicles.
Anybody up-to-date with vehicle coatings and stuff (i am NOT)?

goofnrox

Veteran Member
Nov 26, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI , USA
Probably OK. It's the year after year exposure that really does the damage. A few years on a new car would probably be hardly noticeable. My wife's 2011 still looks mostly new underneath after being run in Michigan winters every year.

Jeff

ssupercoolss

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2015
PA
2-3 years you are probably ok. "North" might be a pretty big area though. i live near Phila. and spend alot of time in NEPA. both places love salt. i destroyed the underside of my '95 Bronco after several years, attributing that to snowplowing with it. That was alot of driving on salty, slushy, yucky rds. Most vehicles dont spend that much time driving around in those conditions. Even then, when i was done plowing, i pulled it into the Firehouse to hose it off good. Salt does really kill cars though. The underside of my 2011 tacoma is ok, not awesome, but again, i might spend more time than the average person driving in the snow.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
The salt bath is my real concern. I've NOT been around the results of that nor have I been around ANYTHING reasonably new (lol). I know the OEM is pretty awesome at keeping up protective stuff.... just
Not my environment.
maybe I shouldn't have such reservations given its only a few yrs old?

smace

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 17, 2008
Ocala, Florida
Do not do it especially if it is from a place like Buffalo. When it comes South it will start rusting out. You will regret it. I could tell all the time the cars at a Florida auction that were traded in from up North

Da_Raabi

Veteran Member
Jan 19, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL
My Dad moved down to FL from NY with his 2014 Chevy 1500 last year. he just traded it a month ago. While he did take good care of it, you could see on any metal edge (think lightening holes in the frame, brake backing plates, anything with an "edge") that it was already starting to rust hard.

Do what you will with that info...

The Champ

Veteran Member
Sep 14, 2000
MN
From a person who has spent the bulk of his 63 years living in the "north" (MN and WI), I wouldn't fear a well taken car from the north country at all.

I typically keep my vehicles for 7 - 10 years. I just traded a 2006 Pontiac Torrent in last fall and it had zero rust issues. When we purchased that Torrent, we sold our best friend a 1998 Pontiac GP that also had zero rust issues.

Yes, my vehicles see a car wash frequently in the winter time.

So a late model vehicle from the north isn't a problem to me. Our 2014 Cadillac ATS4 was purchased "up north" last October.

I'd be more afraid of a 2 - 3 year old Enclave from GA that spent a lot of time on gravel backroads than a similar Enclave that was driven up north and saw a car wash regularly.

80sz

sup
Feb 2, 2014
Buffalo,n.y.
Do not do it especially if it is from a place like Buffalo. When it comes South it will start rusting out. You will regret it. I could tell all the time the cars at a Florida auction that were traded in from up North
whoa bro ski ,na you're right they dump as much salt as they can out here then few months into winter the city's crying it needs more money for all the salt . They go over board with the salt and every year they whine about how much it cost . I watch these goofs,they come by with salt truck,10 minutes later they plow it off to the side and here comes another truck with more salt to lay down. It pisses me off,they waste so much money . On the thruway they will come by with a pay loader and push the snow banks back twenty feet like its a major hazard. It's not...then they close the thruway all the time now and cause these major traffic jams. Okay I'm done...if it were me and it's from Buffalo,pass.

Latest posts