Would you buy a low mileage rental car ?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Chevyforever, Jan 24, 2021.

1. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hate to bust up all the Rental Car love but I know for a fact that most all the wrecks are repaired by in house or contracted shops that DO NOT report to Carfax. I know it's shocking, but it's what they all are doing.

And you will get only the remainder of the 36,000 mile warranty.
    The 60,000 or 100,000 mile factory warranty that the ORIGINAL owner may have enjoyed, will not transfer to you....the second owner.

99% of all so called "Leased Cars " were leased to rental companies. Understand this right now.....They make up most all the used car inventory on dealers lots..... along with the cars they bought at auction. but that's a whole different thread/nightmare.

In Florida they fought a long legal battle over having to even disclose this. Carfax and rental agencies led the fight against having to report former rental use. They said just labeling it leased history was good enough. After it being in court for like 5 years, Carfax lost.
    Carfax plays both sides of the field . They truly suck as a source of reliable info on leased vehicles.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Chevyforever likes this.
  2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yes. Carfax is only as good as the reporting. I used to have access to a Canada wide database at work, and sometimes I could find a car with a clean carfax and multiple collisions that you could find associated to an owner or driver that weren't officially reported as collision associated to the vehicle. But, carfax is about the best due diligence available for the public.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I’m wondering why a rental company would be selling a car with 3800 miles? I frequently get rentals on my trips and plenty of them have many more miles. Granted they get rid of them quick...3800 seems like it’s only been in service for a few months. I feel the lower compact rentals are abused more than the sedans or SUVs. Different class of renters at times.

Chevyforever likes this.
  4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Best thing Carfax was for IMO was weeding out the crap the snowbirds brought over from the lands of salt when I was looking for my wife's Enclave.

1972_Z-28 likes this.
  5. Knuckle Dragger

Does that hurt your neck looking down your nose?

351maverick and biker like this.
  6. badazz81z28

You just can’t control yourself from attacking me, can you....others have to behave themselves, but you don’t?? Come-on...I worked at Budget rental AND I have rented a bunch of cars.

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I worked for Enterprise for 11 years. I would never buy a “cheap” rental car, they gets the crap kicked outta them. The more expensive stuff tends be be treated better.
    In the last year, the rental industry had a pretty big shift. If you see a car for 3800 Miles on it I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it. It was overstock that got dumped to decrease sitting inventory
    Next year my advice will be different

Chevyforever and badazz81z28 like this.
  8. badazz81z28

That has been my experience as well, "the group people" (Not All) who rent the cheaper cars didn't seem to take care of them as well as the more expensive cars. I worked at Budget rental as the guy who spray painted the carpet to cover stains, deep clean the seats from ketchup and milkshake spills etc..etc..rubbed the fender bender scuff with tar removal...

I would buy a rental for a kid if it was cheap enough, but I wouldn't spend book value on one.

9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Lowend is 100% on the low mileage due to pandemic.

My wife is usually flying all over North America and using a rental car 40+ weeks a year. Her company shut down travel last March.

She's still working with a college in Yuma, AZ, but does everything on the phone, online or via zoom. Her commute is now from our bedroom to our home office - I think it's about 40 feet.

10. Knuckle Dragger

I reconditioned hundreds if not thousands of rentals for the dealer I worked at, I never saw any evidence of the lower end cars needed any more work. Car from Hawaii were generally rougher due to all the surface rust, but that's the only distinction I found.