Would you buy a low mileage rental car ?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Chevyforever, Jan 24, 2021.

1. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

would I buy very low mile, near new rental? YES! and have!

the ex was station manager for years at the "we try harder" brand and station franchise was owned by gent who owned three stations in SC & NC. She bought a very low mile, year old, quite nice '79 Camaro (305 AT) auto from her boss the franchisee. Heck, he even financed it. No wrecks but she KNEW that. But it was a rather unattractive non-metallic bamboo green on green (fugly IMO). If that Malibu sounds & looks good then pay to have Your pro check it for You!
    And you're darn right there are certain demographics that are hard on rentals; that franchisee had unwritten rules about that but got busted by a disgruntled station manager from different location. It made 60 minutes and then the Federal Courts. It was quite costly and effectively ended that supply of Great used GM rentals. Heck he was so particular about the rentals he owned that would Not let them simply churn through corporate locations; I'd routinely fly to pick them up and bring them "home". Air carriers charged her very little and I became well acquainted with most of those regional air crews. Had a good pal in Charlotte and sometimes spend the night & party w/ him and drive back next day.

Seems I read where GM will discontinue mid-size platform (Malibu) over next 3-4 years?

2. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's a good post/point.

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

HA!

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yes, I live in the haeart of the land of salt. To make it worse, our ministry of transportation switched to a chemical brine of some sort that "did not promote rust". Well...5 years later, I can tell you it is WAY worse than salt. Makes me sad working under vehicles now.

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I bought one ride from I think Wisconsin. I will never do it again. Mike N would laugh at me but I had to replace stuff that never ever wears out here on the west coast. Not for me man, not for me.

6. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Dave we don't know any better here its always been that way :crazy: There was a puddle of gear oil under my beater 99 zr-2 last week-the diff cover rusted out!! Not a single bolt could grip a socket,and I had the cover off at least twice in 15 years last time probably 5 years ago for seals!!,Out with the flame wrench,pound on chinesium 12 mm socket,remove bolt rinse and repeat!!Don't know any different.
    Buddy bought a 70 chevelle builder a couple years ago from texas,literally used hand tools and a milwaukee m12 impact to pull apart most of it other than the suspension stuff,think he had to heat 1 inner fenderwell bolt but that was it!! Heck neighbors S-10 door striker rusted out of the jam wanted to know if I could weld it up!!Guy at work had a Charger I think 2012- ish rear caliper mount rusted off caliper pulled/fell off.Later Steve!!

7. biker

biker Veteran Member

Miserable here. Frame and crossmember repairs on 10 year old trucks, constant brake and fuel lines.truly miserable.

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Back in 1971 a friend of mine bought a 1970 Camaro rental car. Over the next 30 years he drove it over 300,000 miles until the car totally fell apart. It turned out to be the best car he ever owned.

9. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

If its in nice shape go for it.
    My 70 Camaro was originally a Thrifty rental car for the first year of its life. I'm the second owner and no regrets.

10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I'd consider it only if I was going to run it into the ground. Try to trade it off and that rental tag will get you thrown out. It did for us anyway. I didn't know what a "program" car really meant until I tried to trade our 91 Cutlass in on a new 94 Cutlass. One of life's lessons there.

Chevyforever likes this.