Would you buy a low mileage rental car ?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Chevyforever, Jan 24, 2021.

1. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Only for the original owner. Second owners get to select aftermarket extended plans. I have never seen an extended FACTORY warranty available to second owners.
    In fact, the only factory warranty the second owner gets is what's left of the the minimum standard one 36-36000. Any factory extended warranties like 60 or 100 the car may have had do not transfer.

2. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

That is really a great simple description that I've never heard before that is SO true!!! Dave can I have permission to plagiarize that one?? :) Later Steve!!

Knuckle Dragger likes this.
  3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

You need to double check that info.

At least for GM, the powertrain warranty does transfer:

https://www.chevrolet.com/frequently-asked-questions

Also, there are certified pre owned warranties that extend the original factory warranty well beyond the 3/36.

My current Cadillac ATS4, purchased in 2016, is a certified pre owned car. GM included a factory extended bumper to bumper warranty that ran for a full 5 years or 70,000 miles from the cars in service date.

Current Cadillac certified preowned get after the bumper to bumper 4 year/50,000 expires:

https://www.cadillac.com/certified-...VfCCtBh2aigxvEAAYASAAEgJpjPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

As to buying an aftermarket extended warranty - ask almost any shop owner how valuable they think they are. The warranty companies are a PIA to work with and end up delaying the actual repairs because of the required approvals before work can be done. I wouldn't waste my money.

1972_Z-28 likes this.
  4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

He said to purchase the extended warranty, not transfer it. The second, third fourth etc owners can absolute buy a extended factory warranty as long as they are still under the original manufactures warranty period. The factory warranty covers the vehicle for the prescribed time & mileage no matter who owns it, even another dealer putting it up for resale.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    8pack likes this.
  5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Also I've heard you can shop around for a factory warranty extension. Buy from any dealer, get the best price, and there are some dealers that have discounted prices for the actual GM warranty. Might look into this?

6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gee...I get call ALL THE TIME telling me that my car warranty is about to run out...:screwup::screwup:

7. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

^^^^^ Me too--and i don't own anything newer than a 2005!!! Later Steve!!

8. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Usually a big mark up on them too, don't hesitate to try and negotiate a better price.

9. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

If I got a deal on a former rental I'd buy it. Generally speaking they're well maintained and kept looking good.

sandlapper and Chevyforever like this.
  10. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Go to any large Chevy/GM forum. Use the search function to search on Warranty or discount warranty. You find a thread or more on which dealers are offering the best deals. You can buy from ANY dealer and since it is a factory warranty it is obviously good anywhere. Usually there is a dedicated thread on it. 30-50% discounts are not unheard of. Those guys are working on Sales volume to augment their local dealership sales.

When I bought my Volvo, Subarus (3) and Maserati that’s what I did and it saved me a ton.

There are also prepaid maintenance programs that can be very cost effective and are also negotiable but I am not sure if you can buy them on a second hand car. If the mileage is low enough they may be available.