Would You Buy This?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Ryan 79, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Ryan 79

Ryan 79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm a member of a couple of 1:64 model building groups on Facebook, and I finally built a car. This is my first one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a Hot Wheels 81 Camaro race car, which means it has a roll cage and only the drivers seat for an interior. I used this interior, and it is the same light blue as my car's interior.

This got me to thinking.

There are a bunch of guys doing custom Hot Wheels online , and they are about $65 each.

I make one of these in a solid color and sell them for $55 shipped if anyone wants them. Before you say that's insane, I'll have at least two hours of labor, plus paint, and shipping in them, and I would provide the car.

I could also turn these into air cleaner toppers with an anchor nut in them. I wouldn't drive down the road with it on, but it would be cool for a show. The aire cleaner cars wouldn't have an interior in them.

Just trying to gauge interest. $55 would be for a car just like mine, single color, with stock wheels and tires. I could also do multiple colors, weathering(I could make your car look like a project car with different fender colors, weathering, etc), dual color interiors, you name it, but this would obviously cost more. I could also do different tires and wheels, but this would cost more as well.

I'm wondering if anyone here would actually pay what I am asking. I know it sound like a ton of money for a Hot Wheels car, but this is what they market is, and there's actually a fair amount of time in them.

2. Ryan 79

I would also allow you the option of sending me your own car and having me paint it. There are a ton of Second Gen Hot Wheels/Matchbox/Johnny Lightning/Racing Champions cars available, and right now, I only have access to the 81's.

There is also a 78/79 Hot Wheels Camaro available, it has the correct 78/79 fender vents and hood scoop on it. However, this is an older casting, the level of detail is not there, and the wheels are ugly as hell.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A better camera is needed.

4. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

that is cool

in my case my 6 year old son has about 1000 hotwheels...that one would be destroyed in about 10 seconds

5. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Agreed. The paint looks really thick for some reason.
    I totally understand the work involved but still wouldn't pay even 10 bucks for one. Just not custom enough for me.

I'm sure many others would though, Good luck with the venture! :cool:

6. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like a fun hobby. Cant say I would spend that. Im not a fan of hot wheels.. Good luck tho. Looks to be a relaxing hobby too.

7. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

It's a cool idea, but I can' say I would give more than 10 bucks either. But then again I don't collect hot wheels.

Good luck with it though :)

8. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Looks good Ryan!!!

9. C-1 generation 2

C-1 generation 2 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Who knew you might make money doing that.
    I've been customizing 1/64 scale die cast for years. About ten years ago I started making cars that match car show friends cars. I put them on a key chain and they hang them on their rear view mirror.
    I usually buy the car, key chain and do all the work and charge nothing. For me it's just a hobby.

Here's a few pictures of actual car and replica. Some are simple and other complex. I even do rat rods.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_rah/page16/

I don't do Facebook or anything by mail but would be glad to do cars for anyone local in the Missouri any Illinois.

10. Ryan 79

I found out about the 1/64 customizing after I started selling toys, mostly farm toys, on Ebay.

There is a HUGE 1/64 community that makes nothing but farm layouts, like train sets but they are just farm layouts. The higher end semis alone cost around $80 EACH. There's also a huge community of customizing 1/64 pickups, some of those go for upwards of $150 each. I'm friends with a few "professional" modelers, and they make a really good living working for themselves and customizing semis. For example, if you own a semi and want these guys to make your truck for you, those generally run about $300.

I didn't think anyone would pay what I wanted, but it never hurts to ask. I know $60 sounds like a ton for a Hot Wheels car, but this is the going rate, and I see them sold for this price and more all the time.