Would you pull the headliner?

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
Can't decide whether or not to pull the headliner down in my 71. I am doing a full on rotisserie job on this car, headliner is mint but I want to get at the underside of the roof to soda blast and paint along with the rest of the interior. I feel like it would be stupid not to, but supposedly the original bow-style headliner is glued in some spots and can't be removed without destroying it. And from what I've read it is very difficult to get an aftermarket piece to fit right without wrinkles and crap..

I doubt there is any rust up there but I still would like to get it down to blast/paint.. otherwise I will mask it off and call it good. I'd like to hear other dudes' experiences with these things.

Thanks, -Andrew

grzewnicki

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 9, 2009
Gordon from Jacksonville Fl
Yeah your not going to get it out and reinstall it, it is glued in at the edges. How is the rest of the cars interior? Any concerns with rust? I pulled mine down, looked perfect underneath of it.

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
Yeah, I grew a pair and took it down. Kept it 95% intact but I will most likely replace it.. and of course, no rust whatsoever. Feels good to have it down though so I can do all the interior metal