Wow, ebay is a scam to sell with anymore

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
I just sold something after a long hiatus. They hit me for 12.55% on the item total including shipping and tax. The percentage is high but I just can't believe I had to pay a final value fee on tax and shipping. Insane, I guess I've sold my last item on ebay. No wonder it's all Chinese crap on there anymore.

Now they are holding my funds hostage until I give them my bank account information.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
I've never sold anything in epay but I've had my kids buy stuff for me. It's been infrequent so I wouldn't know the pitfalls. However, as "on line" sales grow it doesn't surprise me that people get hosed. Recently I don't know how many times I've seen stuff on Amazon or on a store's website that's more expensive than in the store (assuming it's in stock of course).

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
That's why my BIL that used to sell there all the time calls it feebay. I still use craigslist for a lot of stuff but there is talk now of them starting to regulate sales as da gubament wants there cut I am sure.

Smokin'Joe

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Texas
I believe they changed the final value fee to include shipping quite a few years ago when a few unscrupulous "sellers" were gaming the system by listing $1,000 I phones or other expensive items for $1, but with a $999 shipping fee. This was their way to only pay final value on the $1. Ebay's answer, rather than get to the root of the problem with the few bad sellers, was to penalize everyone by taking a cut on everything. It certainly does not seem fair to the honest sellers and in my opinion it is dishonest for Ebay to take taxes on $40 of shipping costs.

Also, Ebays moving away from Paypal and now mandating to have your bank account info was another dirty move. They claim it makes a smoother process, but in reality, it allows them to be able to pull money directly from your bank account if a seller has a problem and ebay "refunds" their purchase.

I didn't sell much there anyway, but was nagged by ebay for months about the need for bank account info. I never gave it to them, so I can't sell there anymore. I am surprised you were able to list anything without them having your info.

--

Last edited:

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
I stopped selling on eBay due to their cut on everything. I only sell on Kijiji here in Canada. Craigslist doesn’t sell well here.

bfmgoalie

Veteran Member
Jun 14, 2008
Gansevoort, New York
I wasn't aware, but you can purchase and sell on Facebook. I found out from a friend about 9 months ago. Bought a very expensive dining room set (dirt cheap - people were retired and moving) and I sold my 2001 FXDWG on it. Can't complain.

351maverick

full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer
Aug 11, 2010
erie, PA
full time ebay sellers like myself & about a dozen of my associates (many well over $100,000 in yearly sales) would very much DISAGREE that the fees are unreasonable

how else are you going to sell something? Ebay provides all of the marketing (global marketing) all the shipping label printing service, all the Post Office/UPS liaison, provides a seamless payment receipt method (the Ebay Managed Payment program is the BEST thing they've ever done)

if you guys want to put stuff at the end of your driveway with a for sale sign...or place an ad in your local newspaper or whatever then go ahead...but if you want shippable items to actually SELL then pay the 15% or whatever & take the money

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
full time ebay sellers like myself & about a dozen of my associates (many well over $100,000 in yearly sales) would very much DISAGREE that the fees are unreasonable

how else are you going to sell something? Ebay provides all of the marketing (global marketing) all the shipping label printing service, all the Post Office/UPS liaison, provides a seamless payment receipt method (the Ebay Managed Payment program is the BEST thing they've ever done)

if you guys want to put stuff at the end of your driveway with a for sale sign...or place an ad in your local newspaper or whatever then go ahead...but if you want shippable items to actually SELL then pay the 15% or whatever & take the money

So what's your justification for Ebay getting a percentage on the tax and shipping? Seems like profiteering to me. I accept it's going to cost me part of the sale to use EBay but hitting me with fees based on the sales tax and shipping is insane.

This whole add your bank account or you don't get paid stuff is pure crap. Now I'm expected to send the item before I actually get the money due to the hoops I need to jump through. They shouldn't have allowed me to list it without the account in place, I would have never agreed.

And, you sure seem to take it as a personal attack when eBays policies are questioned......

72'z'steve

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2000
waukesha wi usa
Wifey sells stuff on ebay lots of collectables and new 50 year old items from both our parents estates [depression era raised COULD not use anything new put it away and used broken worn out crap] It was amazing the new stuff we found in their houses squirreled away from the 60's to near present-we boxed it up and brought it home/store it in one of the barn attics and our basement.we open a box and she lists it.Wifey also picks up small stuff for less than a buck rummaging and flea marketing and sells it for a minimum of $10 to $15-stuff like slot cars she gets 30-40 bucks for not too hard to take even with the fee's.The key is like Mav said is the exposure for the stuff we sell,NO-ONE would give it a second look here that's why its at the rummage-flea market in the first place.The parents stuff is totally free money for us/vacation fund etc.We opened a box and found a bunch of toys from my 47 year old nephew that grandma bought for him for use at their house so it was all kept nice-bunch of masters of the universe figures and a microphone snake thing in the box-wifey got STUPID [to me] money for those things-nobody local would have bought it.
If I was selling something "I" threw alot of money at originally the fee's would tick me off but like I said most of our stuff was free or totally cheap.
Wifey did an ebay only bank account as she sells enough [obout 900 items last year] to do taxes on it-she saves gas receipts from the road trips/meals-all the packaging stuff etc-tax guy figures it all out for us.Beats binge watching Karen and the housewives on the weekends/evenings and we both like each others company so its a great time looking for treasures together! Later Steve!!
P.S.posts we're made while I was typing,the tax on shipping IS a joke and the fee's for shipping as mentioned before are due to sellers who would list a $100 item with a buy it now for a buck and shipping was $99 to skirt the selling fee's-had friend get duped on that one-"hey its a buck" how come its a hundred with shipping?? people always looking for an angle :(:roadkill:.-If I was just selling a couple things its not worth the hoops/invasion of privacy etc but its our minor hobby-Later Steve

Last edited: