? wrong outer window felts

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Chuck71RS, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Poor word choice by me. When I said Velcro was used, it was only the two that have the fuzzy felt (in the middle and at the back). The front panel support only is made as the other two but without the curved part that the felt goes on

2. Chuck71RS

Still a mystery. Same condition for both doors

Outer felt style is correct by not having the chrome bead. (outer door top edge has reveal molding).
    Two inner window guides look like those in Camaro videos. None are bent and fully inward (the guides are against the door.
    The Velco fuzzy felt on the inner guides is a tad thinner then the original
    Glass adjustment: in-out fully inward, glass is level, front-rear looks even. Seals still at Metro Molded Parts
    With 1978 door panels on, tension on the glass is more sever than before. Prevents rolling up

Have I missed anything that affects clearance between outer and inner felts?

3. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

My window supports are different they don't curl/loop at the window.

20201122_094704.jpg 20201122_094530.jpg

4. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

The 70-71 retainers are different than 72 and up. These are 72 design...
    Capture+_2020-11-22-13-13-27.png

5. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The one in front just serves as a sorta hook to hook the inside edge of the door panel on. The middle one and the back one have the fuzzys.
    Those can and do have the ability to be bent at just the right angle you need. I used a hammer tap them and put them back on and test them. With the whole glass adjusting thing the body shop didn't even get them close, and I didn't want to pay them another 20hrs to do this.
    After trying Metro..Softseal...and some other no-name roof rail seals, I ended up buying GM stuff from Year One so I could shut my doors with the windows up without having to slam them. The price hurt bad, but they are very squishy and soft and compress so much more than any of the repo roof rail strips..
    I did use Metro on the rest of the car with no issues. But those roof rail glass seals? No way.

6. Chuck71RS

My retainers at the end curve back under. Must be the right ones then

I will consider doing this as a last resort. No idea though what the needed angle is.

Both doors closed pretty darn good using Metro door and window seals. Had to remove A LOT of material from the front ends of both. To do most of this the ends were cut off. Also the surfaces crumble. Metro is sealing the ends and will reattach. The window ends will be attached to seals treated with a Metro substance used on Corvette seals to reduce friction

I WONDER: The outer felt (replaced with after market during this rebuild) style looks correct but is something wrong the way it was made?