Year of Manufacture (YOM) Plates

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Lucy and Linus, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Lucy and Linus

Lucy and Linus Veteran Member

I'm probably bringing up something everybody else knows that I just learned. But, just in case:

Texas and some other states allow YOM (year of manufacture) plates. For Texas, if you have a vehicle that is at least 25 years old, you can bring them plates for the year of the vehicle and they will inspect and register them for your vehicle. I believe that pre 1975 the plate had the year imprinted in the upper right hand corner. After that, they had a renewal sticker there. So, if you have a post 1975 car, you can find a plate with the correct renewal sticker or you can find the plate and the renewal sticker separate.

There are lots of people selling old license plates on the internet.

Dave

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Up here it is 40 years before you get to use the old plates. I already have a pair of very nice plates waiting for next Spring when I can put them on my car.

3. gpm6367

gpm6367 Veteran Member Gold Member

I dig vintage plates...

New York has a vintage plate programs as well...I remember these blue and gold plates from my youth...
    [​IMG]
    I keep them on all my cars...
    [​IMG]
    The small relfective tag in the corner of rear plate has the month and year...
    [​IMG]
    I know...where are the Camaros?
    [​IMG]
    Hey, variety is the spice of life...

4. Tom 72RS/SS

Tom 72RS/SS Veteran Member

In MO. it's 25 yrs. or older for historic plates. A one time fee of $35 and no more state inspections - Ever!
    I registered a set for my 72 just this summer.

5. southern-breeze

southern-breeze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

my dad had a torino gt ,when i was a kid ,but before i turned 16 he sold and have always wanted one . he had a orange one and also a blue one with a 429

6. Swamee

Swamee Veteran Member

[​IMG]

Yep, Texas does. The other thing is, in Texas you are required to have a front license plate as well.....but when I registered this plate to my car, only one plate was required.

7. Jakeblue

Jakeblue Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No more inspections?! I was unaware of that, but that would be great. What about the mileage requirements and required log entries? I have thought about it, but those requirements make it less appealing. Shoot me a PM if you want.

8. gpm6367

gpm6367 Veteran Member Gold Member

That is ironic....

As I have become obsessed with SCJ Torinos and thier readheaded step brother, the Cyclone....blue or orange you said?
    [​IMG]
    This GT is actually Gulf Stream Aqua (special order paint) and 1 of 241 SCJ GTs (3:91 - 4 spd) made in 1970 out of over 57K total GT production...I detailed the engine bay and pics are on another thread "concourse vs. modified" if interested....

I also have another SCJ GT (4:30 diff - 4spd) that I am looking forward to restoring which is a Calypso Coral (Orange) 4 spd car...both cars are J code shaker cars...
    [​IMG]
    This will be my first attempt at a rotissiere resto on a very rare car...

If you have always wanted A Torino I think it is time!

Hhmm...interesting subject for another thread...how many guys have other make collector cars besides Camaros?

9. southern-breeze

southern-breeze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i know where a plain jane one is at now ,it has been sitting since the 80's . my dad old orange was very nice and the last time i seen it , it had a power pole wrapped around the 1/4 panel

10. mmike

mmike Member

one thing to note on these is. You need to watch the rules with these plates, both historical and vintage. There are restrictions on mileage and how the vehicle is to be used. No daily driver events, going to the store, work and so on.