You know you are old...

Philip

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 30, 2006
Marana, AZ
when you remove performance suspension in favor of comfort. Last week Mary and I were returning from a local car show and she commented on how stiff the Nova suspension felt. I explained the reason was to be able to carve through winding canyon roads at speeds greater than necessary. She asked if I actually drove that way to which I replied not very often.
This conversation got me thinking since most of time the car is used for cruising and touring why am I subjecting myself to the stiff ride? So yesterday the QA1 Pro Coil Over set up was removed and a stock coil spring/shock set up were installed; so now the car rides almost as smooth as our Buick. The handling may have suffered some but overall the ride is much more in tune with the way the car is being used. Not sure I would have thought this way a few years ago but now that I get a senior discount at every restaurant I eat at it seemed like the right thing to do and yes I do find myself taking advantage of the early bird discounts by having dinner in the middle of the afternoon :crazy:

POS71RS

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 21, 2002
Central Coast, CA
Just as long as you don't tell anyone that I'm shopping for a quieter exhaust for my Camaro... we'll be OK. :p

Seriously though... Sounds like Mary really hit the nail on the head. If you're not subjecting the car to the level of the parts you're buying.. then you might as well make the drive more comfortable. Even the guys that drive their cars to the track....well, they're probably still spending over 90% of the time to the track just driving.

To me, having the wife complain about a stiff ride, loud exhaust, general discomfort, makes me want to change things.

I'm not 'old'.. but I am not a kid anymore. So some of those discomforts are what keeps me from driving the car more often... And that's not acceptable.

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
Philip said:
when you remove performance suspension in favor of comfort. Last week Mary and I were returning from a local car show and she commented on how stiff the Nova suspension felt. I explained the reason was to be able to carve through winding canyon roads at speeds greater than necessary. She asked if I actually drove that way to which I replied not very often.
This conversation got me thinking since most of time the car is used for cruising and touring why am I subjecting myself to the stiff ride? So yesterday the QA1 Pro Coil Over set up was removed and a stock coil spring/shock set up were installed; so now the car rides almost as smooth as our Buick. The handling may have suffered some but overall the ride is much more in tune with the way the car is being used. Not sure I would have thought this way a few years ago but now that I get a senior discount at every restaurant I eat at it seemed like the right thing to do and yes I do find myself taking advantage of the early bird discounts by having dinner in the middle of the afternoon :crazy:

Wasn't there a guy telling you the same thing a few years back? :p

Philip

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 30, 2006
Marana, AZ
Knuckle Dragger said:
Wasn't there a guy telling you the same thing a few years back? :p

I am faintly remembering something like that about the time I gave away the springs I needed now :rolleyes:

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
Philip said:
I am faintly remembering something like that about the time I gave away the springs I needed now :rolleyes:

If you could have waited until it wasn't 1000 degrees outside I would have let you have them back :) :p :p

Philip

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 30, 2006
Marana, AZ
I know Dave and appreciate it. Mary has decided to start going with me to shows and did not want her to stop because of the ride. With my discount it wasn't to bad. I installed Sense a Track shocks. In spite of some of the negative posts I have read they work well.