z 28 wheels

Bills69

Veteran Member
May 28, 2018
Having wheel issues on my 72 ss and possibly looking for new 15" rims . It seems the old wheels have a little wobble to them . Did not realize how the cost is so high for old school, The car is very original ,I know z28 wheel is not as correct but close and not wanting a custom type wheel
Suggestions who to purchase through ?

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
Check with your local tire shops. Some of them have equipment to straighten steel wheels so they are good again. Wobble can be removed with proper equipment and it is much cheaper than new wheels.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
The old 15 inch Z wheels are known to get some runout too especially on the inner rim. Depending on the budget a set of new wheels might be the best way to go. Might shop around for a better deal? Link:

This a wheel package only, another $400 or so for trim rings and caps.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
No matter how true the centers are to the hoop… If the lug holes are damaged, get new wheels.

Keep the original wheels for a potential future buyer. Especially if they are date matching originals.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
Back in ‘85 I had all of mine checked and straightened at a suspension shop. I have zero vibrations at all speeds including 100 mph.

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
My Camaro lifts off the road and flies through the air at 100mph
But I have a weird vibration from one of my Z28 wheels at like 80mph. Did the Road Force balance thing and it's almost gone. Been considering a new set. They are 45 years old after all

hd_cat

Veteran Member
Sep 6, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Your car must have the Magnum 500 style wheels, understand why you'd want to keep them, I'm not sure I've ever seen a set on a 2nd Gen Camaro, you should be able to purchase reproduction wheels if yours cannot be repaired, see below;

Some great points in this chain, I would investigate the following;
- Wheel repair if the lug holes are intact, the Cincinnati area has a Wheel and Rim shop as well as shops who repair aesthetic damage
- Check to see if it is the wheels and not a bent axle flange, or corrosion between the disc or drum and the axle or hub
- Check the tires to be sure that the belts or sidewalls are not failing causing the wobble

1664827492622.png

Mar 13, 2020
Rochester, NY
I just purchased 4, American Racing Torq-Thrust Original Style (15 x 7) for my '72 Z from Rick's Camaro for about $130 each with their current sale and free shipping. I do have my OE wheels which will go to storage and looking forward to the fresh look. Good luck with yours and keep us posted if you do have them trued.