Z28 Bowtie Center Cap INSERT Experiences?

Budz

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 17, 2002
Ashburn, Va USA
Trying to figure out whether to replace my faded Z28 center caps or buy Budz inserts? Anyone have experience with the bowtie inserts?

Ask this question in the Original Drivetrain section, probably 50 or 60 guys that have hung out in that topic area have bought them over the years. None have ever mentioned a problem, and they'll give you an honest opinion if they're still here on Nasty.

Depending on what level of originality you want, new aftermarket caps might be a the way to go. The Taiwan caps are the least expensive and readily available. 2nd Design GM caps became hard to find and a little pricey, while original 1st design caps are almost impossible to find and cost $$$$$$. I haven't looked at cap prices in years, so do your own research.

This is one of my original 1st design GM caps with the reproduction foil "raised" Bowtie insert you're asking about......it's been on my car for years since I took these pics.
upload_2022-2-2_15-36-4.jpeg
Large 2.PNG

Some basic cap comparison info: (sorry it's an old picture)
- Left - 1st design GM cap that came with the embossed foil "raised" Bowtie
- Center - 2nd design GM cap that came with a flat plastic Bowtie, and smaller bead around the edge
- Right - Taiwan cap that also comes with a flat plastic Bowtie (has weak mounting clips and a noticeably larger bead around the edge)

All three caps are un-modified
Large 1.PNG

Last edited:

70lt1z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
Ask this question in the Original Drivetrain section, probably 50 or 60 guys that have hung out in that topic area have bought them over the years. None have ever mentioned a problem, and they'll give you an honest opinion if they're still here on Nasty.

Depending on what level of originality you want, new caps might be the way. The Taiwan caps are the least expensive and readily available. 2nd Design GM caps became hard to find and a little pricey, while original 1st design caps are almost impossible to find and cost $$$$$$. I haven't looked at cap prices in years, so do your own research.

This is one of my original 1st design GM caps with the reproduction 'foil' Bowtie insert you're asking about......it's been on my car for years since I took these pics.
View attachment 134101 View attachment 134103

- Center - 2nd design GM cap that came with a flat plastic Bowtie
- Right - Taiwan cap that also comes with a flat plastic Bowtie (has weak mounting clips and has a noticeably larger bead around the edge)

View attachment 134102

I bought a set and am happy with them. Strangely, I had a second design set of caps with the flat bowtie, but they had the bead around the outside rim like the first design caps. Kind of a 1.5 design. I did epoxy the the emblems on as I didn't trust the adhesive with 90 dollar emblems. Here's what mine look like:

Center cap.jpg

Kind of hard to see the raised part, but its there.

CHU1264

Jun 3, 2021
Alabama

Depending on what level of originality you want, new aftermarket caps might be a the way to go. The Taiwan caps are the least expensive and readily available. 2nd Design GM caps became hard to find and a little pricey, while original 1st design caps are almost impossible to find and cost $$$$$$. I haven't looked at cap prices in years, so do your own research.

This is one of my original 1st design GM caps with the reproduction foil "raised" Bowtie insert you're asking about......it's been on my car for years since I took these pics.
View attachment 134101 View attachment 134103

- Center - 2nd design GM cap that came with a flat plastic Bowtie, and smaller bead around the edge
- Right - Taiwan cap that also comes with a flat plastic Bowtie (has weak mounting clips and a noticeably larger bead around the edge)

View attachment 134102

CHU1264

Jun 3, 2021
Alabama
Thanks for the great explanation concerning the center caps and inserts. i will be reaching out to you soon to replace my faded ones.

fvdillon

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 16, 2000
Crete,IL
I can tell you Budz inserts are the best! Years ago I had a set of 4 bowtie NOS caps that were never installed (was always afraid to put them on my car). Anyway I got a set of budz inserts, could never tell the difference between his and the NOS ones. So I sold nos caps on Ebay for lots of $$

dadgonebroke

Veteran Member
Jul 1, 2008
Nature Coast of Florida
I bought a set and am happy with them. Strangely, I had a second design set of caps with the flat bowtie, but they had the bead around the outside rim like the first design caps. Kind of a 1.5 design. I did epoxy the the emblems on as I didn't trust the adhesive with 90 dollar emblems. Here's what mine look like:

View attachment 134104
Kind of hard to see the raised part, but its there.
What epoxy did you use?

dadgonebroke

Veteran Member
Jul 1, 2008
Nature Coast of Florida
Ok- Just got my bowties- very nice. Now as I look at my mildly faded caps it appears that they have the raised bowtie. Am I assuming correctly that they are either original or replaced with correct original style?

Latest posts