Z28 F41 suspension?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by TX79Z28, Jun 24, 2014.

1. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am getting ready to order new rear brake lines from inlinetube.com for my 79, but have a question. They offer two different 7-pc kits, one for a plain Camaro, and one for a "Z28, F41 suspension". I have never heard of F41 suspension, what does that mean? How is it relevant on the brake lines?

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

F41 suspension was heavier duty suspension for better handling. It was part of every Second Gen Z28 package. It was also available on non-Z28 cars if the owner wanted.

F41 added a rear swaybar that could affect the routing of the rear brake lines.

3. TX79Z28

Thank you. I feel stupid! I did a search in the forum and couldn't find an answer. A minute before you responded, I did a google search and found a thread from 2010 where you answered this very question !

4. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

Only the Z28's have the different brake line routing, due to exhaust differences. All Z28's had the F41 suspension, which was different than the F41 that could be ordered on other Camaro's.

John

5. TX79Z28

So, even though I'm not going with stock exhaust, I should just order the one for "z28, f41" correct?

6. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

Are you leaving the drum brakes on or are you converting to disc? I really don't see how the exhaust would have an effect on how the brake line in the rear are arranged nor a sway bar. The only thing I think that might be different between drums an disc is the threads on the rubber brake tubing or the length.
    I sent you a pm.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  7. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

I should just order the one for "z28, f41" correct?
    Correct. I ordered mine a few years ago from Inline Tube, and it was correct for my '79.

The Z28 has a different routing around the rear axle pumpkin. Other Camaro's are not the same.

John

8. TX79Z28

They list 7 piece for power disc and for manual disc, they are refering to only the front? Not for a 4-wheel disc conversion? I asume it included the lines from MC to both front discs and rear drums, including the one that clips to rear end and goes to each wheel cylinder?

9. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

Since 2nd gen Camaro's never came with rear discs, it'll be a disc/ drum setup. If you're going to do a rear disc conversion, now is the time to talk to Inline / Classic / or other company about what you want. They have the capability to customize their lines to whatever brake setup you wish to use.

The hard lines are complete. Can't remember if they came with front or rear flex lines. Give them a call or check their online catalog since it may have changed after I purchased mine a few years ago.

John

10. TX79Z28

They must be refering to front obviously then, will make sure before I order. I was just wondering what the 7 pieces are, it's been a while since i pulled mine