Z28 or not?

Andy Jones

Veteran Member
Jan 11, 2020
Hi
My 79 z28 also came as a hard top (by the vin) but had Hurst t tops put in by the dealer.
Also mine had an 8 for the z28 trim.
Andy

FooFighter

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2019
Columbia, MO
After seaching for awhile for a decent camaro to play with I found one. 1978 Z28, Has all the correct exterior components..hood, fenders, wheels and interior badges, gauges but now having doubts its a real Z, also has T-tops but trim tag says hard top. Was the t top code on the trim tag? other wise im happy with he car, minimal rust interior great shape, built 400 small block.. According to trim tag built in Norwood, I payed $9000

You can look for the build sheet. In my 81 there was a build sheet under the back seat, under the front driver seat (you have to remove the seat to get it out) and under the trunk sandwiched between the gas tank and outer trunk (you have to pull the gas tank to get the build sheet). You could also measure the front and rear sway bars and see if they are the correct size for a Z. If its not a Z the sway bars are typically smaller in diameter.

chuck13

Jan 30, 2016
louisiana
Why would anyone fudge a 78 Z?Are they really that scarce?That being said it sure does look like someone took a punch to the trim tag.You can still get a copy of the build sheet,or I did for my 81 anyway.$50 bucks I think?

chuck13

Jan 30, 2016
louisiana
Damn, I didn't know that. I've heard of 3rd gen Z28s having a 305, but not any 2nd gens. I suppose it was a sign of the times.

I've been wondering about that-350 auto 3.08 vs 305 4 speed 3.42.I'll bet the 305 would give the 350 a good run for the money,ESPECIALLY if the 305 car was lightly optioned,IE no air or T-tops.165 HP for the 305 vs 175 HP for the 350,about 20 FT LBS difference.

FooFighter

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2019
Columbia, MO
Why would anyone fudge a 78 Z?Are they really that scarce?That being said it sure does look like someone took a punch to the trim tag.You can still get a copy of the build sheet,or I did for my 81 anyway.$50 bucks I think?
Where can you get the copies? Do you have link you can point us to? Even though I found all three of my build sheets the one under the back seat was half eaten by mice, the one sandwiched under the gas tank was ruined by the tar insulator strip that runs between the trunk and the tank and the one under my driver seat was shredded and had pieces missing as they stuck it between the seat wires and the seat foam. It tells me enough that it is a Z28, but its not complete.

Why would they fudge a 78? They are not rare but if someone cloned it for whatever reason then selling it as a Z brings a few more bucks. Not a King's ransom but a Z goes for the most money regardless of the year. Maybe the front end of a Berlinetta was smashed and they replaced it with a Z front end. Years later they go to sell it and want top dollar. Who knows, but it does happen. I've seen cloned Z28's before that people were trying to pass off as Legitimate Z28's when in fact they were not.

FooFighter

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2019
Columbia, MO
I've been wondering about that-350 auto 3.08 vs 305 4 speed 3.42.I'll bet the 305 would give the 350 a good run for the money,ESPECIALLY if the 305 car was lightly optioned,IE no air or T-tops.165 HP for the 305 vs 175 HP for the 350,about 20 FT LBS difference.
Yes, but it would still be like watching paint dry as they were both slower than a one legged cat burying terds on a frozen pond.

BillyDean7173

Final Six
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
165 HP for the 305 vs 175 HP for the 350,about 20 FT LBS difference.
It might be entertaining from a curiosity standpoint. It's just a shame what had to be done to the later 2nd gens and other cars at that time. And now we have four- and six-cylinder cars that would smoke any factory 2nd gen. o_O