Z28 Wheel Trim Rings Refinishing

bodymanbill

Veteran Member
Feb 1, 2007
South Park Pa
  • This is mine its 3/4 hp works pretty good but there are times my son lays into it pretty hard while polishing something and he definitely slows it down. I would definitely go 1 hp if I got another one.
    A9C097BA-60D1-47F5-A56C-BA5AEC212B30.jpeg

CamarosRus

Veteran Member
Feb 16, 2000
Auburn,WA (between Sea & Tac)
l16Pilot aka Steve N, I'm thinking Don's is the place that did Tom P (70 Red Z28) Trim Rings ???
They were the nicest I had ever judges at the CAMARO Natl's

I'll attach pics of Rings I had polished YEARS AGO but Not as Nice As Don's on Tom P's car.
Steve your JUDGING thoughts on me using these over-restored polished rings on MY Shadow Gray Z28 ???
I think I have two sets with different looks on them 1st design & 2nd design used different
thickness of stainless and maybe they were different plating ???

I am in need of ONE restorable 1st design ring
Does Judging Deduct for the use of 2nd design rings on 70-74 Z28's
Do you have the Ultra Rare 1st Design Lug Nuts.....I need more

15x7zRing1stAnd2nd.a.jpg
15x7zRing1stDesign.a.jpg
15x7zRing2ndDesign.jpg
247535793.jpg
Ring1.Z28.2ndDesign.O.bergPolished.Feb2005.jpg
15x7zRing1stAnd2nd.a.jpg
15x7zRing1stDesign.a.jpg
15x7zRing2ndDesign.jpg
247535793.jpg
Ring1.Z28.2ndDesign.O.bergPolished.Feb2005.jpg
Ring2.Z28.1stDesign.O.bergPolished.Feb2005.jpg
Ring3.Comparison.1st.2nd.DesignRestored.jpg
Ring4.Feb2005.jpg
Ring5.ComparisonClips1st.2nd.Design.jpg
StainlessLugnutComparison.Tex.t.jpg
Z28b.70.BowTie.caps.jpg

l16pilot

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 13, 2004
Hurlock, MD, USA
Chuck - I had my original 70 trim rings restored by Roque at Don's on Long Island....got caught in the Covid-19 mess, so took longer than expected, but they turned out really nice. Roque is a true metal master and a super nice guy to deal with as is Don. According to Roque, the originals are chrome plated stainless...so that's where the extra shine comes from and it is unlikely stainless would polish the same. If you had three 1st design and one polished 2nd design, yes...there would be a points deduction, but only for the one incorrect trim ring....as there is for having incorrect lug nuts. I have no original lug nuts, so however many you have are more than I do :(

CamarosRus

Veteran Member
Feb 16, 2000
Auburn,WA (between Sea & Tac)
Steve, 1) IF I enter judging with my shiny over polished 1st design rings am I
losing points because they dont LOOK Original
2) If I enter my 70 Z28 with 2nd design rings that you can sometimes LOOK down
and see that curved backing ring (vs the FLAT 1st design) do I get a deduction
for not using Original 1970-74 rings
3) I think I need ONE more 1st design ring IF I was to send a full set to Don's
at what estimated cost........(you can text me a number if you dont want to
post here.

secondgenaddict

Veteran Member
Dec 29, 2012
Upstate South Carolina
The "coating" you sanded through is the CHROME... ALL of GM stainless was CHROME PLATED... not copper nickel chrome. not nickel chrome... just stainless with CHROME. WHY? CHROMIUM is extremely HARD and offers surface protection AS WELL AS A MORE UNIFORM FINISH.
There are some who will Disagree, however my own experience is the same... a "coating"

l16pilot

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 13, 2004
Hurlock, MD, USA
Agreed James. According to Roque at Don's east Coast Restorations in NY, the stainless trim rings were flash chromed, which would be a very thin layer typically without the copper or nickel bases.

FlaJunkie

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 24, 2001
Rockledge, Florida
The "coating" you sanded through is the CHROME... ALL of GM stainless was CHROME PLATED... not copper nickel chrome. not nickel chrome... just stainless with CHROME. WHY? CHROMIUM is extremely HARD and offers surface protection AS WELL AS A MORE UNIFORM FINISH. There are some who will Disagree, however, my own experience is the same... a "coating"
So the original 1970 trim ring is flash chromed?

My chrome shop lady was spot on.

I assume now they looked like brushed aluminum simply because of road wear and time.

If they can be polished, would that bring them back to stock? Does anyone have color pictures from 1970 of a new car?