Zeadly 81

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Canadian Barton, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Veteran Member

Making progress but I get so caught up in getting to it I rarely remember to document anything. Went to take some pics last light as I was going along and my phone died. My wife is gone to Ontario for a week so I am hoping to get it into primer before she is back. Will have the colour in my hands today as a a little motivation. A few minor repairs and it will be coming along.

IMG_0821.JPG

DaneO likes this.
  2. DaneO

DaneO Veteran Member

Looks great! you're really moving on this!

3. Canadian Barton

Did my first patch job. I had a couple pin holes up by the corner of the T-Top on the drivers side. Was hoping I could just tack a few welds in and patch but the metal was so thin it just burnt through. So I shaped a patch cut and welded in. I think it turned out pretty well for my first patch. I did wind up cutting more out than I originally intended but it's fixed now and shouldn't give me any trouble.

The fire blanket must have slipped off the windshield as I have a couple splatter marks on the glass now. Lesson learned!!!

IMG_0824.JPG IMG_0826.JPG

Made sure the T-Top still fit in properly.

IMG_0829.JPG

Attached Files:

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. dutch73camaro

dutch73camaro Veteran Member

nice project do you have photo's of the final welding ? of did you just fill it up with bondo ?
    problem is then after 6 months or so. you see your patch coming in your paint.

5. Canadian Barton

I finished welding all the way around and tried my best not to get too much heat in there but still had to do some reshaping of the patch when I was done. Ground the welds flush and finished with a thin layer of filler. I'm horrible at taking the time to get pictures so no, no shot of the final weld. Hopefully it doesn't come back but I spent a good 5 hours on it to make sure it was good.

6. Canadian Barton

Didn't have a lot of time last night so I thought I'd set up my new gun and spray some epoxy primer. The gun is the 3m Accuspray system with all disposable tips and cups etc. Set up is so easy and it sprayed so much better than my HVLP that I purchased from Acklands 15 years ago. The best part of this gun is that it come with 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.8mm tips. I purchased a package of 2.0 tips for spraying slicksand. 5 tips for $30.

I'm a cheapo mind you so I spent some time cleaning the disposable cup and lid after I was done...lol.

004.JPG

Screwed up my paint selection though. Thought this was flat paint but turns out it was semi gloss. Not sure if I will respray but I have to get flat paint for the inner fenders anyway. Whats one more step!

005.JPG

hubedobeedo likes this.
  7. DaneO

DaneO Veteran Member

Looks great! Good job on the patch too!

8. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great work so far. Keep it up.

9. Canadian Barton

Happier with the flat finish, just another minor set back but worth it in the long run.

hood.jpg

hubedobeedo likes this.
  10. Canadian Barton

Set up the kill room and managed to get some colour down. Really happy with the progress over the weekend. Will start assembling now and hit the shell with slick sand. Still a ways to go but it's coming.

IMG_0850.JPG IMG_0851.JPG IMG_0852.JPG IMG_0853.JPG IMG_0854.JPG IMG_0855.JPG IMG_0856.JPG

hubedobeedo and DaneO like this.