Zeadly 81

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Canadian Barton, Apr 27, 2018.

  1. dave@ztech

    [email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Messages:
    4,585
    Likes Received:
    1,047
    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2016
    Location:
    NY
    We all need someone to hold our hose, HAA HA, looking good, really like the color!! The blue color.
     
    Canadian Barton likes this.
  2. Canadian Barton

    Canadian Barton Veteran Member

    Messages:
    334
    Likes Received:
    132
    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2015
    Location:
    Alberta
    A few more late nights like this and it's off to the booth for sealer and colour. Snow is almost gone, street cleaners will be out soon. I want this thing back on the road SOOOOON...

    IMG_1707.JPG
     
    hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. FatnLow

    FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Messages:
    1,954
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2003
    Location:
    Montgomery, AL US
    Nice progress!! Patches looked great. I know that plastic welding takes plenty of time. My front cover needed repairs. Looking forward to seeing the Blue Z!
     
  4. ULTM8Z

    ULTM8Z Veteran Member

    Messages:
    9,941
    Likes Received:
    811
    Joined:
    May 19, 2000
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    what color blue is that?

    Looks just like the Dodge Viper blue on my Camaro...
     
  5. Canadian Barton

    Canadian Barton Veteran Member

    Messages:
    334
    Likes Received:
    132
    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2015
    Location:
    Alberta
    It is a Dodge colour called Hydro Blue.
     
    hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. Canadian Barton

    Canadian Barton Veteran Member

    Messages:
    334
    Likes Received:
    132
    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2015
    Location:
    Alberta
    The latest is not great news or progress. Some of you may have noticed the thread on a major mix up with the paint. If not feel free to have a little read here http://nastyz28.com/threads/paint-mix-up.324634/

    I am in a bad mood and feeling a little broken right now. Started stripping the paint off the polyurethane parts last night and the nightmare that started over a year ago is back to square one. This is all far too familiar and I guess waiting a year to sort the paint out was my own rookie mistake. I've lived and learned and I am trying to wrap my head around the amount of rework but I just need to refocus and take my time to get this right. IMG_0014.JPEG IMG_0015.JPEG IMG_0016.JPEG
     
  7. dave@ztech

    [email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Messages:
    4,585
    Likes Received:
    1,047
    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2016
    Location:
    NY
    I would document the time, and then hand that to the paint supplier , and say , OK, make me whole!!
     
    Canadian Barton likes this.
  8. Canadian Barton

    Canadian Barton Veteran Member

    Messages:
    334
    Likes Received:
    132
    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2015
    Location:
    Alberta
    I've already spent a number of hours on this using aircraft stripper for plastics. I guess the good news is that the paint is hardly budging with just stripper. Good paint and process I guess, just the wrong paint. The process that I've had some success with is this.
    - Open up the clear coat with 150 grit on the DA sander.
    - One coat of Klean-Strip Aircraft Paint Remover (The label says do not use on aircraft...lol)
    - Wrap in plastic and let sit for 30 minutes
    - Scrape clear and a really light layer of color with plastic scraper)
    - Wipe down with gun wash
    - Second coat of stripper, wrapped and sit for 30 minutes
    - Scrape what little paint actually bubbled
    - Third coat of stripper, wrapped and sit for 45 minutes
    - Scrape a little more then get frustrated and spend the next 45 minutes sanding the remaining paint and primer with 150 on the DA down to bare plastic.

    Now I remember why I said if I ever did another late model second gen I would just buy a new fiberglass nose rather than stripping and repairing. Unfortunately that is not in the budget on this one so the supplier is sending some TA stripper to try. It's a lot more aggressive so I am worried about damaging the urethane bumpers. I will give it a try tomorrow and keep a close eye on it. I have only been working on the flares and chin spoiler. Have not touched the bumper or nose until I find a process that is better than straight sanding...not sure there is one.
     
  9. Canadian Barton

    Canadian Barton Veteran Member

    Messages:
    334
    Likes Received:
    132
    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2015
    Location:
    Alberta
    Just reading my own post frustrates me to no end. The paint set back makes me physically ill.

    Anyway, I am slowly getting up the nerve to get back at this. The plastic stripper I tried is a joke. I wound up sanding all the parts urethane parts back to bare. Had some time on the weekend so I cleaned the nose and sprayed with a high build primer. I have a couple spots that require a little attention but I am going to install the nose back on the car before I do anything else. Time to sh$t or get off the pot I guess.

    FEF.jpg
     
  10. hubedobeedo

    hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

    Messages:
    613
    Likes Received:
    222
    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2013
    Location:
    Huntertown,IN
    that sucks i hope you the best man i know that is super frustating
     
    Canadian Barton likes this.

Share This Page