Zeadly 81

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Canadian Barton, Apr 27, 2018.

1. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

We all need someone to hold our hose, HAA HA, looking good, really like the color!! The blue color.

Canadian Barton likes this.
  2. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Veteran Member

A few more late nights like this and it's off to the booth for sealer and colour. Snow is almost gone, street cleaners will be out soon. I want this thing back on the road SOOOOON...

IMG_1707.JPG

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice progress!! Patches looked great. I know that plastic welding takes plenty of time. My front cover needed repairs. Looking forward to seeing the Blue Z!

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

what color blue is that?

Looks just like the Dodge Viper blue on my Camaro...

5. Canadian Barton

It is a Dodge colour called Hydro Blue.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. Canadian Barton

The latest is not great news or progress. Some of you may have noticed the thread on a major mix up with the paint. If not feel free to have a little read here http://nastyz28.com/threads/paint-mix-up.324634/

I am in a bad mood and feeling a little broken right now. Started stripping the paint off the polyurethane parts last night and the nightmare that started over a year ago is back to square one. This is all far too familiar and I guess waiting a year to sort the paint out was my own rookie mistake. I've lived and learned and I am trying to wrap my head around the amount of rework but I just need to refocus and take my time to get this right. IMG_0014.JPEG IMG_0015.JPEG IMG_0016.JPEG

7. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would document the time, and then hand that to the paint supplier , and say , OK, make me whole!!

8. Canadian Barton

I've already spent a number of hours on this using aircraft stripper for plastics. I guess the good news is that the paint is hardly budging with just stripper. Good paint and process I guess, just the wrong paint. The process that I've had some success with is this.
    - Open up the clear coat with 150 grit on the DA sander.
    - One coat of Klean-Strip Aircraft Paint Remover (The label says do not use on aircraft...lol)
    - Wrap in plastic and let sit for 30 minutes
    - Scrape clear and a really light layer of color with plastic scraper)
    - Wipe down with gun wash
    - Second coat of stripper, wrapped and sit for 30 minutes
    - Scrape what little paint actually bubbled
    - Third coat of stripper, wrapped and sit for 45 minutes
    - Scrape a little more then get frustrated and spend the next 45 minutes sanding the remaining paint and primer with 150 on the DA down to bare plastic.

Now I remember why I said if I ever did another late model second gen I would just buy a new fiberglass nose rather than stripping and repairing. Unfortunately that is not in the budget on this one so the supplier is sending some TA stripper to try. It's a lot more aggressive so I am worried about damaging the urethane bumpers. I will give it a try tomorrow and keep a close eye on it. I have only been working on the flares and chin spoiler. Have not touched the bumper or nose until I find a process that is better than straight sanding...not sure there is one.

9. Canadian Barton

Just reading my own post frustrates me to no end. The paint set back makes me physically ill.

Anyway, I am slowly getting up the nerve to get back at this. The plastic stripper I tried is a joke. I wound up sanding all the parts urethane parts back to bare. Had some time on the weekend so I cleaned the nose and sprayed with a high build primer. I have a couple spots that require a little attention but I am going to install the nose back on the car before I do anything else. Time to sh$t or get off the pot I guess.

FEF.jpg

10. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

that sucks i hope you the best man i know that is super frustating