Zeadly 81

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Canadian Barton, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Veteran Member

48C3CCF9-AD67-44BC-9C8A-B02D52C19F7F.jpeg Well, this is familiar territory. Nice to be making some progress.

80sz and dave@ztech like this.
  2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Looking good

3. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Just curiosity question on painting the jams...because im about to do this. how come you didnt spray the upper part of the doors, the door/roof area? Ive never done this and planned on spraying the whole door area, backs and sides of doors. Did you also paint the hinges the same color? If so did you disassemble hinges to get full coverage? or just coat in one position?

Thanks!

4. Canadian Barton

I just wanted to get into the spots that I won't be able to easily get to when the car is assembled for painting and I also didn't want to waste material on parts that will be covered by interior or trim etc. The doors came off again after this pic as I couldn't get them to line up properly so I completely removed and rebuilt the hinges. Originally I had sprayed them in one position which is fine as you will never really see them anyway. Roof area is pretty accessible and because I'm noit confident in my painting skills I want to spray as much of the car at one time if possible. Don't want to risk spraying it in pieces and not have the colours match.

I'm learning as I'm going but overthinking it every step of the way. Good thing I don't do this for a living as I'm more of a one step forward 3 steps back kinda guy.

5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Im doing the same thing...second guessing pretty much everything I do with paint and body. Mechanically Im good, I can chug along with mechanical stuff all day long. With Painting there are several ways to accomplish, but definitely very easy to mess up. Ive told myself if the paint doesnt turn out right, Ill vinyl wrap the whole car!!

I will probably paint the top parts when i do jams, so that when I tape off the car to do the rest of the body, I dont need to mess with turning the paint gun up to get into the roof/window channel. This way I dont mess up the spray pattern while painting the roof and sides. This is just a theory...no science behind it.

6. Canadian Barton

My problem is that there is so much info out there and everyone has had success or failures doing it this way or that way. Need to pick one person you trust to not steer you wrong and only listen to their advise otherwise you wind up down a rabbit hole you may never get out of...lol

7. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Im pretty much following the paint suppliers recommendations to the 'T', Im using SPI paint, so hopefully by following their paint procedures Ill be ok.

8. Canadian Barton

Keep plugging along. I had blocked the entire car originally but then disassembled to rebuild the hinges and things got moved and dinged and scratched so I sprayed 3 more coats of slick sand and have been putting things back together. I did have a couple pieces that still had the bad paint on and when I hit with the high build it crackled. Took them to work and sand blasted back to bare. All good now. I know what not to do next time.

Some pics of the progress...

NVRN8175[1].JPG IMG_1312[1].JPG DQJM3263[1].JPG

dave@ztech likes this.
  9. hd_cat

hd_cat Member

What stripper was recommended, the Klean Strip Aircraft for flexible panels seems to be about as effective as water... I tried Jasco non-MEK formula, but it attacks the urethane (duh, should have read the label). I'm at the point of sanding now!

10. camaro lover

camaro lover Veteran Member

that shade of blue is darn close to mine. looks great.